Friday, December 31, 2004

It's the little things

It's funny how something like a video game can incite extreme emotions in me. I have this uncanny knack to give up 3-run homeruns in baseball games. I never give up grand slams, two-run, or solo shots. Always 3-run. Usually it's with my closer in and I lose. Never been able to explain it, but it makes me punch walls and turn the game off. IT'S A VIDEO GAME!!!!! I didn't punch stuff when we lost games in high school! Well, once, but it was because I fouled out on a bad call.


Well, anyways, I bring this up because yesterday I spent most of the day entering in correct names for the major teams in ESPN College Basketball 2K5. I named every team in the ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, C-USA, Pac-10 and SEC. That's like 80 teams of about 13 players each. I don't have a calculator, but that's like 1040 players (ok I had a calculator.) Everyone knows it's more fun to play those games when the announcers use their names rather than just a number. Well I was finally ready to play, when I went to load my updated rosters and accidentally saved over it with the computer generated names. So instead of Duke having players like JJ Redick, Daniel Ewing, and Shavlik Randolph, they had Phil Arbet, Keyon McKenzie and Armondo Ariza. It was too late to undo it. So now I have to go back through and rename everyone. There were more than a few choice words used.

Tonight is New Years Eve. Not exactly a major holiday. But you know the saying that the way you ring in the new year sets the tone for the entire year? Actually, I don't know if that's a saying, but it sounds good. Anyways, Rachel convinced me to do the "First Run" up in Portland tonight. It's a 5K race starting at Midnight. So I'm gonna spend the first 45 minutes of the new year running. It's gonna be mid 30's and probably raining. And I'm going running. My goal is to run the whole thing, but as I'm not in shape at all, I'll be surprised if I even make it 2 miles. Yay.

I've realized something over the past week....not having a job sucks. I always thought just hanging around the house all day playing video games and watching tv would be great, but it's not. In college it was ok, because there was always a friend or two that didn't have class to hang out with...or if I was really bored I could go to class. But now it's just me. I'm fighting the urge to go to the boys and girls club and hang out in the afternoon just to have something to do. I know that if I do that, they're going to start counting on me to show up and be there more and more, and that's not what I want to do. I definitely want to have a job before I go back in there to visit so I can say, sorry I can't, I've got a job. Sadly, I haven't got so much as a call back for the 8 or 9 jobs I've applied for in the past weeks. I'm hoping they're all waiting til after the holidays to call people back. Guess we'll find out next week. Geez, I need something to do for Pete's sake.

Pete's sake? Who is Pete anyways? I always assumed it referred to Saint Peter, but I don't see any logical reason that it would be him. Wouldn't this be a great link on the MSN homepage? I bet it'd get quite a few clicks. If it said "For Pete's Sake? Find out who Pete is...." I'd click on that bad boy like whoa. Alright I'm out. If you're going to be in the Portland area tonight, please don't drink and drive. I don't want you hitting me while I'm running.

No comments:

Post a Comment