Wednesday, December 8, 2004

Just one of 'dem days

I guess I should preface this entry by saying this one is more for me than you the reader. It's not terribly exciting, funny, or even good. Just some stuff I wanted to externalize. So it won't hurt my feelings if you guys skip over this one.


Right now it's about 11:41. I had pizza and pop for dinner. Last time I put this combo together, I was up til almost 4 contemplating the rest of my life. Tonight's not that bad, but it is nearing midnight and I'm not really that tired. I am however, bored. Rachel had a rough day at work and called it a night early. Can't really say that I blame her. She puts up with a lot of crap at her job. I wish there was more I could do to make her feel better. I've always felt that one of my talents was the ability to make people feel better when they're bummed out. I know I at least made her feel a little better, but being the heroic boyfriend that I am, I want to solve her problems in one conversation. When you reach the limits of your talent and it still doesn't feel like enough, that's frustrating. I've always felt that when I really buckle down and give something my best shot, I can do it as good or better than most people. Call it ego, call it confidence, call it whatever. And when I give something my best shot and it falls short of my own expectations, that's a tough pill to swallow.

Still bored. I keep hoping that if I stretch this post out long enough, Joel will log on. C'mon Doggy, I'm counting on you. Some of the more enjoyable and meaningful conversations I have are with Joel in the wee hours of the morning online. Bizarre I know, that I have better conversations with my best friend online than I do in person, but that just seems to be how it goes. Probably because it's the one time neither of us are concerned with image or anything, we can just kind of free flow.

Officially, I have one more day of work at the ticket office and one more day of interning at the boys and girls club. I'm gonna help out at the ticket office over the break, and I'll be working some basketball games, but really tomorrow's my last regularly scheduled work day. I have mixed feelings about my time at the ticket office. On one hand, it was a great experience for me. I learned a lot, got some work experience, and met some great people. On the other hand, I felt sometimes unfairly singled out and underappreciated. People say that the only time you are noticed is when you screw up. I never really noticed that before this job. And my biggest beef with that office is the fact that the full time staff would frequently say things were going to happen and never follow through on them. I had to bring up the filing system at 3 consecutive meetings before any action was taken. Keep in mind that we only meet once every 3 weeks. We were told on more than one occasion that we would be implementing a "student employee of the month" competition and nothing ever came of that. I know that on more than one occasion I asked for more responsibility and was never given any. Grrr.

Well 20 minutes later and still no Joel. Guess I'll play a little snood or eavesdrop on other people's livejournals before I head up to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment