Saturday, December 11, 2004

Basking in the afterglow

Thank you to everyone who congratulated me on graduating......This is more for you than me. I mean that seriously. Everyone wants to tell me how great it is that I've graduated and how proud they are of me. I don't think it's an accomplishment to take twice as long to do something as is normal. I feel a sense of relief more than a sense of accomplishment. Woo ha.


Wilsonville High School is on its way to the first football state title in the school's 9 year history history. They sure have come a long way since that first game when we lost 73-7 or whatever it was. 23-7 at the start of the 4th quarter. I probably should be there, but I'm ok with watching it on tv.

Everytime I watch a state championship game in any sport, I get all bitter that I never made it to a state tournament in anything. Little league we probably should've won state with the pitching we had, but we just got unlucky. Plus we had an evil genius coach who though running the basebaths with reckless abandon was the best way to go. Ran us right out of the district tourney. Then my senior year of high school we came within one game of the state tourney in both basketball and baseball. Basketball we were highly favored and nobody showed up. We lost 48-34 or something. Our leading scorer was 0-9 from the field and I ended up scoring half our points. That was probably the most frustrated I've ever been in my life. I felt like I was the only one who gave a crap and was trying to win. Cried a lot that night. In baseball, we were kind of underdogs and made it all the way to the state qualifying game before losing when Derek's grand slam attempt was caught at the wall. About 3 feet from the state tournament. That's the breaks sometimes.

Last night was a bit interesting. Rachel and I tried to go see Ocean's 12, but the theater was pretty packed. We were both kind of tired and decided to just head home. We get home, and Joel calls and invites us up to Portland to watch Ocean's 12 at 11:40 pm with Alexis and him. By this time, I've kind of got my second wind and it sounds kinda fun. Rachel was tired and didn't want to go. It really made no sense to drive all the way to Portland to go see this movie, but it sounded to me like the kind of thing I'd have done a few years ago. Just not think about consequences or situations, just do what sounds good. So I agreed to go. Rach was kind of disappointed in my decision and rightly so. I had to borrow her car cause the truck would never make it, plus she's been helping me out with rent and bills for the last month while I finish up and look for a job. So to me, it was a tank of gas.....to her, it was $20 that I could've used for rent or bills. When she explained why she was disappointed, I realized that I don't just have myself to think about anymore. I know I've been with her for a year and a half, but sometimes I forget that stuff still. And it really made me think. Maybe I'm not the person I thought I was. Maybe I'm not a good boyfriend. I wrote about how "me-centered" my world is, and it's true. I tend to think about how situations will affect me before I think about how they'll affect anyone else. Sometimes I don't even get to the other people, and make up my mind based on my situation. Bad Andy. I'm going to have to work on this going into the future.



On a lighter subject, Joel gave me all his MP3's to put on my computer. I lost all of mine when I wiped out my hard drive last year, and it was great to get some of these songs again. I was getting sick of listening to the same 2Pac and Counting Crows songs over and over. Now I've got over 1,000 songs of joy again. Remember the days of Napster and KaZaa in its heyday when you could download music for free and without fear of legal action? Those really were the days. I don't know if we'll ever realize how incredibly lucky we were to be college students during those few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment