Thursday, December 2, 2004

Dis n' Dat

You know, all day yesterday, I heard how Notre Dame just can't compete on the football field anymore because their academic standards are too high. I actually read one column that said something about how with this new "win-first" strategy at ND, we're going to start seeing more athletes of marginal character make their way to Notre Dame. Are you kidding me? At what point did you have to choose between being smart and being good at sports? Is this really the way it is these days? All the "good" players are stupid and moral criminals? I absolutely refuse to believe this. I can't believe more people aren't up in arms about this.

I had a dream last night that I was chewing gum, but I had put too much in my mouth and it was making it hard to breathe/chew/swallow. So I tried taking some out of my mouth, but no matter how much I took out, there was still too much. Then the gum got really sticky and pulled out all the teeth on the left side of my mouth. I have no clue what that means, but I'm only chewing half-pieces of trident for a while.

Last night at the basketball game, Grant and I sat in the student athlete section. Not because I want to feel special, but because I enjoy sitting behind the basket. I remember when that section was a student section. Plus, they sit down the whole game, except when the situation warrants standing, which is how I like to watch a game. However, I always feel weird sitting over there. Most of the male athletes are spending more time macking on the female athletes than watching the games. Plus I'm sure they're all saying "who is this dumpy guy, and why isn't he wearing official issued sweatpants anyways?" I was sitting behind this guy on the football team and a girl on the basketball team. I think he was trying to teach her to rap. She just kept giggling and bobbing her head to his I-Pod. Made it difficult to watch the game. Pretty amusing. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be a college athlete, if I'd act the way these people do. I tend to think no. However, if I was myself, I'm not sure I'd have many close friends on the team. That was the biggest reason I didn't put much effort into trying to get a tryout for baseball. Joel will remember me saying "like I want to play with frickin Narv." I'm sure Narv would've said the same thing about me.

That's it for now. Referee-ing a 4th grade game tonight at 7, gotta figure out some way to get home by 8 for the OC. Don't think it'll happen, but maybe I can start the game about 5 minutes early and skip that pesky halftime thing. Peace, and I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment