Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Growing old but not growing up

A scary realization entered my mind today the other day. I realized that it's just a matter of time before the people I depend on to service my car, pilot the plane I take to see friends, even operate on me when I'm sick or injured, are going to be younger than I am. It's totally surreal. Already, I look up to LeBron James and Amare Stoudemire and go "wow, did you see that? That was amazing." Both are younger than me. My closer on my favorite team, Francisco Rodriguez, is barely 22. I'm depending on this guy to slam the door and win games for the Angels. He was just starting High School when I graduated.


I'm still of the age where I feel like I know more than almost everyone younger than me. So the first time I go into the doctor's office and some guy (or girl) a little younger than me walks in and says "alright sir, why don't you put this gown on and we'll see what's up," I think it's going to be a little hard for me to take him/her seriously. And I know that this doctor will be every bit as qualified as any other doctor older than me, but still....that's strange. Already, a lot of the people overseas fighting for freedom and those stationed here in the US defending our borders were barely out of grade school when I finished high school. I'm depending on these lil' whippersnappers to defend my freedom. This is the first time I've actually felt "old," and it's a little scary.

The sun is shining through the window right now right into my face. Seems like it's going to be a beautiful day right? Well, Mr. Weatherbug tells me the temperature outside right now is 37 degrees. Oh joy. That ought to make for a fun ride in the truck to work. Woo ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment