Sunday, February 6, 2005

Super

Since this is the Super Bowl entry, all numbers will be in roman numerals.


Another Super Bowl Sunday in the books. The Patriots win again. This is a team that I worshipped in high school. When they won the AFC Championship in MCMXCVII, JR, Grant and I drove through the streets of Wilsonville dressed in red, white and blue waving a Patriots blanket from the bed of the truck and honking the horn. During the playoffs that year, JR and I tried to simulate gametime temperature at Foxboro Stadium by opening all the doors to his apartment in the middle of December....I think it was about XXXIV degrees that day. We simulated all of the playoff games the night before on Playstation - and WATCHED THEM. We didn't just fast simulate, or play with one of the teams. We let the game simulate itself, and watched every play. I was - dare I say - a diehard. And I did die hard the day they lost to the Packers in Super Bowl XXXI. Damn you, Desmond Howard.

So now they've won III of the last IV. And I don't care. I guess I wasn't as big of a fan of the team as I thought, more a fan of the players they had at the time. Seems this has always been the case with me. Once Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn and Vinnie Johnson moved on, I wasn't really the Pistons fan that I was during their championship runs. Way back in the day, I was a huge Blazers fan, until they traded Kiki Vandeweghe (I swear I spelled that right the first time...though I did look it up to make sure.) In fact, the only team that I've stuck with through thick and thin is the Angels. Been a fan going on XIX years now, and I'm pretty sure that they don't have a single person associated with the team now that was a part of the organization in MCMLXXXVI, though I can't prove that. Although it's going to be a tough pill to swallow for me to call them the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Arte Moreno dropped the ball on this one...it's not worth it. I don't care if you want to be L.A.'s team. It's not worth this. The Golden State Warriors are not the Oakland Warriors of San Francisco. The Minnesota Timberwolves are not the Minnesota Timberwolves of Minneapolis. I'm not happy about this at all.

As for the commercials......I was pretty disappointed. Fed Ex had the best one in my opinion. Any commercial that uses Burt Reynolds and a bear is ok in my book. Even still, there wasn't really a commercial that people will be talking about tomorrow. If you're gonna spend $II.IV million dollars, you better get it right. I am excited about the new Cadillacs though.....look pretty nice.

A few things that I found interesting about the Super Bowl:

* The kid that flipped the coin basically just threw it up in the air....didn't flick it or spin it or anything. The coin floated through the air and never turned over. Might've bounced and turned over, but I doubt it. He didn't really throw it that high. Rodney Harrison looked like he wanted to murder the kid. I could just see him blaming the kid in an on field interview after the game if the Pats had lost.

* The announcers praising Andy Reid and his coaching staff for throwing the red flag to challenge the fumble in the first quarter. They marveled at the speed with which they were able to decide to throw the flag. Nobody seemed to notice that Donovan McNabb ran over to the sideline and said "throw the flag, my knee was down."

* When Tom Brady fumbled and the all the refs were trying to pull people off the pile to find out who had control of the ball and some guy on the Eagles was standing X yards away holding the ball.....I'm amazed this doesn't happen more often.

* I was amazed that T.O. didn't get more show-boaty, especially considering the day he had. He caught more passes for more yards than any other Eagles receiver, yet he only celebrated once. T.O. is all about self promotion, yet he remained pretty business-like on the field. I guess after the game he was saying that if he was Brett Favre, people would be calling him a hero for even playing today. That's the T.O. I know. Trying to tell people how good he is, rather than letting other people do the talking for him. While I think Brett Favre gets more credit than he deserves sometimes, you never hear him telling people how good he is.

That's all I got. Remember, it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. Unless you lose. Then winning was the only thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment