Tuesday, February 8, 2005

Is this a test?

Ok so I interviewed for a job today. It went well, in my opinion. I had to answer the generic "describe a time when you had to handle 4 duties at once" questions. My favorite was "what do you expect from the next company you work for?" I felt like saying "their money," but I refrained and went with "an enjoyable work atmosphere and a place with good communication between employees." I thought that was more appropriate. I think I answered all the questions well. In my opinion, I'd hire me. The pay is terrible, but it has good benefits. The perks of working for a health care company. The lady told me there's a good opportunity to move up in the company, so that's good. Not to be arrogant, but I don't think it'd be hard for me to prove I was worthy of a higher position there within a year or so.


Tonight Rachel asked me what we were doing this weekend. I mentioned that we should probably do something to "celebrate our love for each other." I thought it was a good line. She laughed at me. Then she said she didn't really care. I was like "you don't care about our love?" She laughed again. She doesn't care what we do, or if we do anything. Apparently she thinks Valentine's Day is a dumb idea and a crummy holiday. Being a guy, you'd think I'd be estatic with this news. However, I can't help but wonder if this is some sort of test. Am I being tested to see how romantic I am? If that's the case, I'm screwed. I'm probably the least romantic person I know. Except for that guy that gave his girlfriend a Thomas Guide street map as a gift. I won't name names.

Speaking of romanticism, what exactly is romantic? Writing a poem? Personally I think equating her eyes to "deep pools of understanding" or her smile to "the light when the sun crests over the mountains in the morning" is just lame. I don't care if you mean it....it just sounds corny. And definitely not me. Is it buying chocolate? Those giant hearts full of chocolates are a sham. Half of those things suck ass and have things like coconut or some strange toffee concoction in them. Not worth it. Plus my girlfriend is the healthiest person on the planet. Flowers? Pretty generic. And expensive. Spending money on her when I don't have a job usually is met with a stern look and "what are you doing? You can't afford this....let me pay for dinner and a movie tonight." My girlfriend. Not only is she awesome, but she pays for stuff. Makes me feel like a freeloading tool sometimes, but I know she's only doing it because she loves me. And because she likes having the power, but whatever. I love her to death.

Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold. Can you imagine if someone actually traded in friends? Like if I said "sorry Joel, you're fired. I met this other guy, and while he hasn't been there for me for the past 16 years, he likes playing Xbox with me." Good lord, does this really need to be a saying? Did it really need to be made into a song? What the hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment