Tuesday, February 22, 2005

and the beat goes on

So I didn't get the job at the Corvallis Clinic.


I got a nice generic letter this weekend from them informing me that they had given the job to another candidate. I kind of saw this coming, since Rachel said that the job posting had been taken offline, and as of Wednesday my references hadn't been called. I was still hoping for a miracle I guess though.

I decided to call up the lady I interviewed yesterday anyways, to see if she could give me any feedback as to what I could do to better my chances of getting the next job that I applied for. Here is what she said:

"Andy, you were great. Your interview was tremendous. Unfortunately for you, we had people with records experience apply for this job. Even without that experience, you were one of our top candidates. I'd love to have you work for us, so keep your application current with us, because I think we'll have some job openings in July."

Wow. Very nice of her to say, and extremely unhelpful. Joel said it best when I told him about this yesterday: "Well geez, the fact that they liked you will pay the bills for a few months." This is twice that I've been passed over for jobs due to a lack of experience. I don't want to sound like a whiner, but how am I supposed to get experience if no one will give me a job? I hate the fact that I have to say that. I know that life isn't fair, and I have no clue how many people applied for that job, or how qualified or deserving those people are. Maybe they were more deserving. It's just frustrating......

I'm going to start applying for jobs in Portland now. Corvallis doesn't really have a wealth of jobs at the moment, and I really am going to need a job sooner rather than later. I'm not sure what that's going to do to my relationship with Rachel, since she's got a good thing going in Lebanon. I really don't want to be the reason she quits. She does a lot for me already, and quitting her job shouldn't be part of the plan. I guess we'll see what pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment