Thursday, January 20, 2005

Return of the Snacks

Scattershooting while wondering what exactly scattershooting means......


I'm back in the ticket office. Which means I have plenty of time to file another entry.

My official job tonight is to answer the phones if they ring. Since we're only open because there is a game tonight, I'm really just an information source. I'm not selling anything over the phone....so basically the only calls I'm going to get are "what time is the game?" or "where is Gill Coliseum?" or "how much is parking?" Those are the big 3. Real fun night I'm in for. Seems like a waste of money to pay me to be here, when they could just set a recording on with all pertinent information. I'm not complaining though...I've made $1.75 since I logged in!

The Blazers-Cavs game was great last night. $10 to see an NBA game is almost a steal. If I lived in Portland, I'd go to a game a week I think. I can now tell everyone that I was there the night LeBron got is first triple-double. Most people won't be impressed, but it's still great to say I was there.

Some more thoughts about the game:

*It was "Hardwood Classics" night, with teams wearing 1970's jerseys. While in line to get tickets, Dad asked if that meant they'd be wearing 1970's style shorts. If it weren't for the fact that 90% of the players probably would refuse to play in thigh-length, tight shorts, this would be a great idea. Imagine the hilarity of Shaq in some shorts that would make Daisy Duke proud. Or some guy who is more concerned about his image than anything, like Kobe Bryant or Tracy McGrady. Extremely amusing.

*Dad's great to go to games with. He asks questions like "now where do you think they store that blimp?" and "When did a free throw become such a hard shot?"

*The highlight of the game might've been the contest they had between two fans where they had to identify a 70's tv show theme song. Between the two of them, they got a whopping zero correct. Which wouldn't be bad if the shows were short lived or unrecognizable. But the themes from Bonanza, Hawaii 5-0 and The Brady Bunch are so well known in today's society that someone who was born after those series ended can ID them. These contestants were so out of it, the PA announcer at one point said "hey someone poke Debbie with a stick and make sure she's still alive." As they got booed off the court (yes, these fans were booed off the court) the PA guy implored "what were you guys doing during the 70's?" Dad snickers and says disgustedly "smoking too much weed. Who doesn't know the fucking Brady Bunch?"

********

It figures that I'd stay up til 4 am the night before I had a rec league basketball game at Timberhill. I wouldn't have stayed up that late had I known. Thanks for the heads up Pat. If I fall asleep during a free throw, don't blame me.

I saw that the tsunami death toll is now officially 225,000. Imagine if an earthquake happened directly under the Rose Bowl, destroyed it and everyone died. There's a huge outpouring of support and goodwill, and within the year, the stadium is rebuilt and the game is played again. And another earthquake hits with the same devastaion. That still wouldn't equal the amount of people killed by this wave of water. Absolutely incredible, and equally as tragic.

I just saw a guy with a shirt that said "Cesca Sucks," with a line through Cesca and "Serna" written underneath it. This is a stab at the current and former kickers of OSU, who have both lost key games for us over the past few years. Nobody thinks about how many they've won for us during that same stretch. We might've been the only team not named San Jose State to lose to Washington had it not been for Serna's heroics. Cut the guy some slack. When this douchebag with the t-shirt botches a sandwich at his job at Subway, nobody shows up the next day with a "don't get a sandwich from this bitch." Get a life.

That's all I got. If you don't know what you've got 'til its gone, did you ever really have anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment