Wednesday, January 19, 2005

When I die go bury me and my notebooks in Cairo

I scorekept for Grant's intramural basketball games last night. I might not do that again. It sucks....the whole time I wanted to be playing. Especially when they got their ass kicked in the first game. Perhaps my favorite part of that game was overhearing this conversation between two guys on the other team.


Guy 1: Why does he (referring to Grant) shoot 3's from so deep? He's not that good of a shooter."
Guy 2: Yeah he is...just wait.

Grant proceeded to hit his next two threes without touching the rim. That's my dog.

The second game was much more entertaining. They played a pitiful team consisting of 5 guys that tried out for Napoleon Dynamite and got cut for being too geeky. One guy was so confused on the court he committed 4 CONSECUTIVE fouls for his team before cussing at the ref and getting a technical for his 5th and final foul.......6 MINUTES INTO THE GAME! I've never seen anything like it. Every time the whistle blew, the ref would waddle over (he's kind of a pudgy guy) and say "11 red on the arm." Like clockwork. I couldn't believe it. Neither could anyone else when I said "that's 5, he's out." That left the Dynamite rejects with only 4 amigos....so an off duty referee stepped in and played the rest of the game. He instantly made their team respectable. Grant's team ended up winning by 19 or something. Would've been more, but the spent the entire second half trying to set up Chris Callaghan for a dunk. To quote Grant: "Getting Callaghan a dunk is like trying to get a pair of unicorns on the ark." This absolutely captured the moment.

I'm off to Portland today to watch the Blazers play the Cavs. I really hated myself for not going to see Roy Jones Jr. box when he came to Portland. I'm not missing LeBron. I missed the best boxer of our generation, I'm not going to miss the best basketball player. I've seen Pedro Martinez pitch (twice) Barry Bonds hit a 500 ft HR in Colorado, The original dream team play hoops at the Tournament of the Americas in '92. I cherish these moments, and I look forward to telling my kids and my grandkids "I remember watching those guys do their thing in person."

That's all I have today. Live each day like you're dying.....unless you're dying of some debilitating disease that renders you bedridden. That wouldn't be a very fun day. Somebody get Tim McGraw on the horn.....

No comments:

Post a Comment