Monday, January 1, 2007

time to break some resolutions

First off, laptops blow. I'm using Bryony's computer right now, and I don't even know what I touched, but I had a really good blog going, and poof...it's all gone. Now I'll never be able to get the poetry I had back. And you're the ones that get punished. I'll try and re-create the magic, but no promises.


I've never been a big resolution guy. Mostly because I suck at them. I have a hard time with commitment. I've never really been a "keep plugging away" kinda guy. Every year I say "I'm giving up fast food, I'm exercising regularly, and I'm going to class (when I was in college.) Every year I eat salads, jog a few miles and have perfect attendance for two weeks. Then I "reward" myself with a little holiday.

The holiday lasts 50 weeks. Then I start again. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

So here I am again. Another excuse to change my life for the better. Another chance to be the person that I want to be. My biggest fear used to be dying before I was ready to go. Now I think it's not being able to play with my kids for fear I'll have a heart attack or pass out. Plus, if I'm a lazy pile of poo, what are my kids going to become? That's right. Poo Jr. And the last thing we need in this world is more poo.

I ended up going to a party where there was one person I knew well....Joel. There were a few others I know on an aqcuaintance level, but a vast majority I'd never met. And you know what? I actually had a pretty good time. I sang along with the lyrics to every song I knew that came on, called a friend I haven't talked to in a long time and had a good conversation, ate some fudge that was great, and even had weenie juice dumped on my pants by an intoxicated lesbian. (don't ask, but that's what happened.) My initial plan had been to hang out with my family and then go to a party at my brother's house, but when his party was moved elsewhere, I realized that I wouldn't have the comfort of being in familiar surroundings where I felt I belonged. Instead, I was going to be the dateless creepy older guy at a party with a bunch of beer-ponging early 20-somethings. While it would've been fun to hang out with Grant, I really didn't want to go that route. So I ended up being talked into going to this party with Joel. For not having very high expectations for the night, I was pleasantly surprised. And, despite all the rapping and bad dancing I did...I wasn't the weirdest guy there. I give that honor to the guy in the kilt. Although he seemed pretty cool....so what do I know?

Hope you all had a safe and happy New Year's Eve. Looking forward to enjoying a great 2007 with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment