Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Back to School

I'm not someone who believes in signs or fate or things of that nature. But yesterday, I get to my first class of the term, and wouldn't you know it, the teacher's first speech to us students starts with, "I want all of you to be like Yogi Bear."


I'll let you flip back to my home page real quick.

Bascially he said that Yogi got up at noon and still had every picnic basket in Jellystone by sundown. The reason was that he was smarter than the average bear, and that's what he wanted us to be. I was having a real hard time keeping a straight face when he said something about how it's ok to have fun in college, but if you have too much fun, you'll be here forever, and then you'll start having less and less fun. It's like this guy was in my head!

This guy is unlike any teacher I've ever had. He's a cowboy from Brooklyn that teaches because he wants to. He was making $150 an hour running his own accounting firm in Southern California, and he gave it up to teach. If you looked up "old school" in the dictionary, you'd see a picture of Jim Byrne. If you looked up "hardcore," it'd probably say "see old school." My favorite part of the class was when some punk kid with a hat that said "HASH" on it asked him if he was going to post anything online on the blackboard website. When Byrne said no, the kid asked if he was going to use the One-Key website. Byrne just looked at him for a second and then says "I'll tell you what we are going to use......this book!" The kid looked totally pissed, and I was loving it.

I feel like I have to succeed in this class, because I'd feel like I let the cowboy down if I don't. He just kind of commands attention.

That being said, I'm supposed to read chapter one by Thursday. I'm not getting the book until Stephanie brings her old one to work Thursday morning. Nothing like starting behind just to save a few bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment