Tuesday, January 16, 2007

While you were out

So it seems just about everyone and their mother had the day off today. I however did not. Though it turns out I probably could've. It was a little icy this morning in North Albany, so I delayed my departure for work by about a half an hour. No message had been left on our work hotline saying we were closed, so I went in. Roads weren't that bad at all. I get to work, and it's damn near empty. It didn't fill up much more after that. I work in a department with three people. I was the only one there. Now my boss, she had a legit excuse - She lives on a hill that I swear must be the highest peak in Corvallis. I have never seen this hill, but in my mind it is akin to the mountain the Grinch lives on. (If you remember the name of the mountain that overlooks Whoville, please let me know. It's been bothering me for a while now.)


My coworker on the other hand.....Not sure what her excuse was. She lives in Albany, and I know for a fact that the drive in to Corvallis was do-able today. I'm pretty much the worst winter driver I know, and I made it just fine. Me driving in snow is something like a newborn baby calf taking its first steps. Plus, last week I asked her if she had any problem with the roads that morning, and she said "Nah, I don't have a problem driving in stuff." Apparently she does if that "stuff" is snow and/or ice. I don't even have a problem with her coming in late.....but at least show up.

So now I'm at work by myself trying to hold down the fort. My boss is stuck on Grinch Mountain all day with no chance for a thaw, and my coworker is probably sitting on her couch watching Oprah. I swear if she comes into work and talks about how she drove to the store or even drove her car at all I'm going to flip out.

I know that today was a regularly scheduled work day, just like any other Tuesday, but when you're all by yourself in your department, and other people stayed home even though the roads cleared up by 11...well there's not much motivation to do your job. So I worked, but admittedly not as hard as I could've. I also left about 45 minutes early. Does this make me a bad person? I don't think so. Do you?

In other news, my accounting class is going fantastically. My teacher used the "smarter than the average bear" reference again today to my delight, and I seem to be grasping it better than the guy in the "hash" hat or the row of girls in Ugg boots behind me. Hope you all had a good day.......

No comments:

Post a Comment