Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Church chat

So I don't know when it became a big deal for churches to put inspiring messages on their readerboards. It used to be they'd announce when services were or when some event was happening. Now they try and convert unsuspecting commuters. You could be cruising along listening to 50 Cent and all of a sudden you're assaulted with words from the gospel. It's so amusing, because 90% of these messages are corny beyond belief. Among the ones I saw JUST TODAY:


"Suit up in the full armor of God"
"Fear knocked. Faith Answered. No one was there."
"To cast a good shadow, walk in the light of the Lord."

Where do they come up with these things? Does each individual church employ someone to come up with them? Is there a website? Do they come via email direct from The Vatican? These are things I want to know. There's this church on Durham Road right by Tigard High School that feels the need to try and belittle non-believers and scare them into coming in. It's hilarious. Their sign once read "How sad is it that people believe God is dead and Elvis is alive?" I can just imagine the people inside being scared half to death to miss a sermon for fear that Pastor McManus is gonna cast them out to live with the heathens, where they too will have to look to the lighted sign on the corner for guidance.

In other news.....I am now employed!

JR hooked me up at the staffing agency that got him his job. The plan was for me to start working in the warehouse with him. However, by the time I finished filling out the paperwork, they'd found another job for me starting tomorrow morning at 5 am. That's a quick turnaround. Adecco has their shit together. I'll be working for Apria Health Care. The way I understand it, they provide in-home medical supplies such as oxygen tanks and the like to people who need them in their homes. When those people no longer need the supplies(or die as the lady so nicely put it), the tanks are shipped back. My job is going to be taking these tanks off the trucks, filling them, figuring out where they're getting shipped to, putting the new info on them and sending them back out. Not exactly the most glamorous job, but hey, it's 40 hours a week, optional benefits, weekly paychecks, and most importantly it means that I have a goddamn job! Booya!

I'm feeling much better about things. I get to see Rachel on Thursday and Aunt Joan is cooking flank steak for dinner tonight. Can't beat this stuff, it's amazing. I'm out...enjoy your evening.

And remember, a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...unless your medicine is in capsule form.

No comments:

Post a Comment