Wednesday, March 2, 2005

workin in a coal mine

Ok, it's not a coal mine, it's a warehouse. But it isn't exactly stimulating. I stand at a table and handle thousands of oxygen tanks. I take the old labels off, check to make sure the valve works properly, clean it up and put it on a rack to get filled with fresh oxygen. Then we take those and load them back onto the trucks. I do this for 8 hours. It's repetitive for sure, but it makes the time go by rather quickly. It was a shock to my system to get up at 3:45 this morning. My shift runs from 5-1:30 with a half hour lunch break. Not ideal hours. Now I have to struggle to make it through American Idol. But hey, I'll make money and it takes some of the pressure off of finding a full-time job. My supervisor is a great motivator too.....pushed the right button with me. Told me that as long as I'm easy to work with, put forth a good effort and show up on time, Apria usually tries to find full time employment for their temporary help. The better news is that they'll try and find a job that fits you, meaning I might be able to find something a little more my style than working in a warehouse. But if I gotta do this for a while to get to a place I want to be, I'll do it.


The past few days have been a whirlwind of change.....Grant announced last night he's moving out at the end of spring term. Definitely didn't see that one coming. I can understand his desire to move in with someone other than Rachel and I. I wonder if me getting a job in Portland made it an easier decision for him to make. Now I think Bryony is great, but I'm not so sure I'd want to be her roommate. Especially if Grant wasn't living there. So I can understand. I hope that it makes his last term in college a great time. Probably be a little more partying living with Josh than with Rachel and I.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for Rachel's job interview tomorrow. I feel like I put a ton of pressure on her to get this job by taking a job in Portland. I think she's definitely qualified for the job, and we went over interview questions the other night. She's got all the right answers. Legacy would be lucky to have her. Let's just hope there's not 8 other people they'd be lucky to get. Hopefully my eagerness to get up early wasn't a one day flash in the pan.....we gotta keep this going....

No comments:

Post a Comment