Thursday, May 4, 2006

Cinco de Mayo

Why Cinco de Mayo has taken on such high status among me and my friends is beyond me. None of us have any Mexican in us at all. Dave's probably the closest, but his link is tenuous at best. His basketball was stolen by a mexican as a kid. Maybe he saw this as the act of a powerful race, and therefore identified with that. I don't know.


In any event, over the past few years, I've come to appreciate all things Cinco. Garth will dress up in a mariachi costume, We will listen to La Cucaracha 97 times, and everyone will get smashed off of tequilla. These guys go all out for tequilla. I believe Garth was spending $400 or something ridiculous this time.

The one great thing in college was that Cinco De Mayo usually fell somewhere around mom's weekend, which meant my mother got to witness some of the festivities every year. Somewhere on the internet, there's a video of a drunken Dave doing the booty dance to a song called "Poppi Grande" for my mom with his ass showing. It's pretty funny. I wish I still had it, but I'm determined to get it back.

Really, I have no care for the 5th of May. It's really no different from the Quattro de Mayo to me. However, it is one of my favorite holidays just because it is an excuse for all of us guys to get together and hang out. Now that Dave lives in Brookings, I'm here in Corvallis, Steve's in Seattle, Joel's in SE Portland, Garth is in Beaverton, JR is in Gresham, and Grant is in Tigard, it's a little more difficult for us all to get together. Plus those pesky job things seem to hamper everyone's schedule. But nobody misses Mexican independence.

I don't think Rachel's too wild about Cinco de Mayo. Fortunately for her, we're not hosting this year (which means the house stays clean) and she left today for Wisconsin and her bridal shower/bachelorette party. It's a win/win for everyone, except I have to make my own dinner and sleep alone for the next few days. At least until Dave gets liquored up and starts cuddling with me on Garth's floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment