Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Revenge of the Zebras

So I've complained about the refereeing at Timberhill before. But last night took the cake. Three times in the last 3.5 seconds there were bad calls that went against us. I didn't think it was possible to get raped 3 times in 3.5 seconds, but by God these two made it happen. We were down 3 points and we inbound the ball to a guy who takes a step and shoots a 3. Now, I can't say for sure he didn't travel, but I was always taught that if it's a judgement call at the end of a game, you should let the players decide the game, and not the whistle. Anyways, that was the slightest of their shaftings. So we have to set up to foul and give ourselves at least a chance. Well lo and behold the guy throws a crappy inbounds pass and I get my hand on it. The ball deflects right of their guys arm and out of bounds. Nope....he gives it back to them. I was furious. I actually ended up yelling right in the refs face, but that was by accident. I just happened to wheel around and go "oh come on!" about 6 inches from this guy's face. I'm kind of surprised he didn't kick me out of the game. Anyways, there's still two seconds left in the game, so we have to get ready to foul yet again. And yet again, they inbound the ball to the guy I'm guarding. I immediately slap him. I hear the whistle blow....and then like a full second or second a half later, the horn sounds. But do they put time back on the clock? Nooooooo, they just call the game off. A one possession game, where we still have a slim (albeit very slim) chance of winning and they just say "nah that's it." Unbelievable. There were a couple of other calls that were pretty bad. I got a rebound that bounced off a post that was behind the basket out of bounds for an easy tip-in that both the refs were adamant that it bounced off the glass. I was a good foot and a half over the backboard. And despite not calling obvious fouls, they somehow found time to whistle a guy for stepping over the end-line on a meaningless inbounds pass. Like that really needs to be called. It was on the other team, but I was still shaking my head about that one. Robyn, don't worry, your dad wasn't one of the refs. I'm convinced he's the best referee down there, and I've only had him ref I think one of our games.

No comments:

Post a Comment