Monday, July 23, 2007

Weekend

George Burns had it exactly right when he said "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close knit family in another city." I thought we were about to have a brawl at the dinner table over steriod use in baseball this weekend at my grandpa's 95th birthday party. Between that and my aunt's adamant demand that we take a picture before every family meal, it's enough to make me just shake my head and wish I drank a little bit. No joke, I was a little stressed out. But that's why you love your family. I'm sure I stress them out and make them shake their heads in amazement just as often, if not more. And no matter how many times it happens, I always know that they have my back and I have somewhere to go if I ever need anything. So here's to families!


Coworkers, on the other hand, are a much different story. Here's what I wrote in a survey this morning around 7:15:

21. Today I...

will not have my boss at work, which means I can guarantee my coworker will probably come in at least 15 minutes late, then talk the receptionist for half an hour, then sit at her desk, read her email, check her match.com page, maybe call her daughter, work for a few minutes, but then of course it will time for her break, so she'll squeeze 30 minutes out of a 15 minute break, then probably repeat the process of the first two hours until, of course, it's lunch time.

Now that it's lunch time, I thought I should update people on what actually happened. She came in 20 mintues late, then read her email, made a few phone calls, then talked to the receptionist, then was at her desk for about 25 minutes doing something other than work, then she had her half hour talk with the receptionist, then took her break, then chatted with the US Mail delivery girl for a while, then went to lunch. Oh, but I forgot to mention that on Friday she told me she was taking lunch at 1 because she had to pick something up. According to her, she was late because she went to pick up whatever it was this morning so she didn't have to do it on her lunch break. Do you think she's taking 20 minutes off her lunch? Nope, because if she was, she'd be back by now. Do you think she'll stay 20 minutes late? Me neither.

Do you think I could do both our jobs? Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment