Wednesday, July 18, 2007

For my grandparents

Today is my grandpa's 95th birthday. Think about that. He was born the same year the Titanic sank. He's lived through the great depression and parts of both world wars. He was alive before TV, before commercial air travel, and before women were given the right to vote. He's lived through 15 different presidents. When he was born, there were 38 stars on the flag for pete's sake!


I love all my grandparents. I actually went to see my other grandparents today becuase they needed a lightbulb changed. They gave me $200 for doing it! Ok, that's not entirely true, it was an anniversary present, but still. They didn't really need to do that, but I would've insulted them if I had tried to give it back. Another reason to love grandparents. Even when you have a wife, a good job, and a house, they still feel the need to give you money.

They also fed me. I showed up, and they have an entire tray of sandwich ready for me....in three different types of meat! My grandma's the kind of lady that won't let you leave until all the food is gone either. If you say "no thanks, I've had enough," she'll fill your glass up anyways. I had three sandwiches, a whole tray of chips, two applesauce popscicles (a family delicacy) and two glasses of milk. Then she brought out the oreos. I finally was able to use the "I have to get back to work" excuse to get myself out of there, or else I'd probably still be at the table with my belt undone and the crust of the third loaf of bread in my mouth.

So hug a grandparent today! They're awesome, and you wouldn't be here without them!

No comments:

Post a Comment