Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Meet the Democrats

I decided to try and educate myself about the upcoming presidential election by watching the YouTube debates. That's when I realized that we don't even vote for a president for another 16 freakin' months! Is this this a bit overkill? Are we that excited to get Bush out of there?


On second thought, don't answer that.

A couple of my thoughts about last night's debate.

*I loved how Dennis Kucinich kept trying to get people to text him. That cracked me up. If you are for ending the war, text PEACE to 73732 or whatever his number was. I'm not sure that a large number of text messages is going to end the war, but it was a fun little thing he kept doing. Every time he got excited about a question, he'd start reaching for his cell phone. One time he even raised his hand, as if Anderson Cooper was going to call on him. Sorry Dennis, this isn't first grade. That's not how it works.

*I'd never heard of Mike Gravel before last night, but I'm telling you right now, we need more Gravel. The guy is like a cross between your grandfather and Macho Man Randy Savage. He was mad about everything. He was pissed that Obama and Clinton and Edwards got most of the questions (maybe because many people didn't even know you were running?) One of the questions for him was asking him to defend his statement that soldiers in Vietnam died in vain. He looked right into the camera and pointed his finger right into the living rooms of america and said 'You can go to Hanoi right now and get a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone! Those soldiers died in vain!" I have no clue what this meant. I'm sure some political science major (Joel?) could explain this to me, but I didn't get it. By far my favorite personality of the night. I don't think I'd ever vote for him in a million years, but he needs a reality show.

*Though the race seems to be a three horse race between Clinton, Edwards, and Obama, my favorite candidate of the night was Joe Biden. I didn't know anything about him going into the debate (I'm not sure I'd even heard his name) but I agreed with damn near everything that guy said. He didn't dance around questions. He was shockingly direct and honest, stating that his kids went to private school only because his wife and daughter were killed. I really liked this guy. It's unfortunate that there's already so much buzz around the other three (Clinton and Obama especially) that he has essentially no chance of winning the Democratic nomination. If I were voting right now, he's who my vote would go for.

*I went in with a very anti-Hilary mindset, but I was impressed with her. When she says that she's the most prepared to hit the ground running of all the candidates, she's not kidding. Rachel and I kept remarking how organized she was and how you half expected her with every answer to say "If you'll turn to page 37 in the blue section of your binder....." She's an extremely strong personality and you can tell she means business. My biggest beef with Hilary is that she never misses a chance to belittle the republicans and I fear that if she took power, all republicans would drag their feet just to get her pissed, and then she'd focus all her attention on crushing those who oppose her. Either that or she'd put the fear of God into everyone during her first week and we'd have the most efficient government of all time. It really could go either way.

*The sooner same-sex marriages are legalized, the better off everyone will be. I'm still pissed that we have to devote entire sections of debates to something that should be a non-issue. We've got people at war, immigration is seriously messed up, social security is running out....and we're spending our time trying to figure out who can get married and who can't. Seriously.

I can't wait for the Republican debate now. I can only hope there's a few Gravel's and Kucinich's out there

No comments:

Post a Comment