Monday, May 7, 2007

Supersized weekend

Saturday was probably the busiest weekend we've had in a long time. We really packed enough for two days into one. We got up, worked out, did the laundry, had breakfast, and headed to OSU for a tour of the Hinsdale Wave Research Facility. That place is amazing. I had no idea all the testing they can do there. They test erosion patterns, the effect of waves on bridge structures, tsunami effects. They were saying that when the water receeds, it actually can do more damage than the wave itself because of all the debris. They actually try and predict the way the debris is going to affect certain cities by placing structures in the tsunami pool as they would be in the city. It's really amazing. I was very impressed. They're also trying to figure out a way to create electricity by harnessing wave energy. Can you imagine? That's a totally renewable source of energy that would have almost no effect on the environment. Of course it would probably only benefit coastal areas, but since 60% of the US population lives within 50 miles of the coastline........think about it!


Then we went to my grandparents house and met up with them and my mom for lunch. After lunch, we went on a historic homes tour of Corvallis. I know what you're saying.....booooooring. Well, one of the houses on the tour was my great grandpa's house. The guy who lives there now is in the business of buying old homes and restoring them. He liked my great grandpa's so much, he lives there. He's done a really nice job with the house. My grandpa kept saying how happy he was that someone was living there that appreciated it and cared for it. It was fun hearing my grandpa tell stories of how things used to be in the house and who lived in which room, etc. Apparently after my grandpa and his brother moved out, my great grandparents kept separate bedrooms! The other houses on the tour weren't that impressive, but we spent about 4 hours or so on this tour. Then Rachel and I went to the fish market to buy some salmon to cook dinner for my grandparents and mom as sort of an early mother's day gift. I love salmon, but always wondered why most of the salmon you see at costco and other stores is always atlantic salmon. I got my answer when the fresh oregon chinook cost $27 a pound! Thank goodness for the gift certificate we got for christmas....came in pretty handy. I will say this though...that's some damn good fish. By the time they left, it was about 8:30 and we'd been on the go pretty much for 12 hours. We went over to Hollywood and got a few movies, and spent our Sunday watching movies. Here's a recap:

Blood Diamond: Fantastic movie. I really enjoyed this one. It's pretty intense though, I wouldn't recommend watching it while you're tired. It'll wear you out. Great performances by all the actors in the movie actually.

Little Children: Kate Winslet has made a career out of strange movies. This might be the strangest. It's more of a movie to make you think than a movie to entertain you, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're into that. I'm not really into it.

The Devil Wears Prada: If women really act like that in big cities and/or in the fashion industry, thank goodness I live in small town Oregon. It was mildly amusing, but at one point, Rachel said "if I ever dressed like that, I'm pretty sure people would laugh at me," to which I replied "I know. I'd be one of them, because I'd be walking 5 feet behind you." Fashion is weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment