Friday, May 18, 2007

Better to be lucky than good

Last night I had a game at Timberhill. For once it was a good game. Both teams were actually trying, the competition was pretty even, and the refs (shockingly) weren't being asses. Well this one guy tried to get a little dictatorish at the beginning of the game, but he calmed down after that. I think he actually said "Are you wearing stripes? Then shut up." Great refs I tell ya.


Anyways, the game came down the last second. We had the ball tied 66-66 with 9 seconds left. Pat drives, draws two defenders to him and kicks the ball out to me on the wing. I threw a pump fake at my defender, who goes flying by. 3 seconds left. I take one dribble and go up for the game winning shot. I have a wide open shot at the perfect angle for a bank shot. So I square my feet, and go up, my focus on the right edge of that little white square on the backboard. I let go of the shot and instantly know that I missed it.....short and to the left. In fact, I missed it so short and so left, that it went right in the hoop. Game over.

In other words, I missed the shot so bad I made it.

Sometimes it really is better to be lucky than good.

Enjoy your weekend. And enjoy National Bingo Night on ABC! Am I the only one who is totally excited about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment