Monday, May 21, 2007

Honesty isn't always the best policy

This weekend Rachel and I went to Denny's for breakfast. It was her way of bribing me into going shopping with her. It worked. So off we go to the Gateway Mall in Eugene, by way of Denny's. Rachel had some coupons, so it was all good. The best coupon of the bunch was a coupon that was for $5 off any order of $15 or more. So after ordering our food, we came to the realization that our bill was around $14. It was obvious that buying something for around a buck would actually save us money by allowing us to use the big coupon. So I ordered a Coke. Problem solved!


Or so I thought. Our bill comes, and it says $14.27. A quick audit of the bill turned up a missing item....I hadn't been charged for my Coke! So I track down our server and politely inform her that she forgot to charge us for a coke. She looks at the bill and says "Well, I guess it pays to be honest. Thanks, but this one's on the house!" Now I'm faced with a dilemma. Do I get overly nice and insist that she charge me for the coke and potentially hurt her feelings for trying to reward my honest? I'm too flustered to do anything at this point, so I thank her and trudge back to our booth. If you figure our bill would've been $15.77 (assuming the coke was $1.50) the total would've come out to $10.77. Her "rewarding" our honesty cost us $3.50!

Next time someone tells you it pays to be honest, feel free to shove you Moons Over My Hammy right in their face.

No comments:

Post a Comment