Thursday, December 21, 2006

Throwbacks

Yesterday at lunch a bunch of us from work were discussing the old game "The Oregon Trail." My boss starts chiming in about how her son loves that game, but always has trouble lowering his wagon down the pass in the Blue Mountains. Immediately the rest of us were like "what in the hell are you talking about?" Then she starts talking about gathering herbs for medicine and fishing. We were dumbfounded. They updated the trail? The rest of us were used to watching the oxen ramble across the plain until Chimney Rock sprouted up and you were asked "do you want to continue or try and trade for supplies?" Then you go a little farther and your wagon tongue breaks and you're stuck there while little Timmy gets cholera and a band of indians steals all your sets of clothing. Then you all die, because even though you shot a 900 lb buffalo, you can only carry back 100 lbs.


I get to work today, and my boss has placed the 3 disk "Oregon Trail 4th edition" on my desk. So I'm going to have to try this thing out when I get home tonight. It's all I can do not to pop the thing in right now and have a go at getting from Independence, Mo to Oregon City.

Another thing I noticed is that I haven't seen any commercials for Stetson cologne. This may be the first Christmas that I haven't seen the Stetson man throw his woman on the back of his horse and take her out into Central Park to the large tree that he's strung 1,000s of lights on. Like that guy isn't getting any later on. He doesn't even need the cologne. That being said, I kind of miss him. It's not really christmas until you see the Stetson man. I guess now I have to deal with hot guys playing sports while a chick says things like "Nice Bod....I want your Bod." Bod Man fragrances has a long way to go to climb to the top of the holiday commercials. Now that Stetson man has apparently been retired, I give the nod to either Santa picking out jewelry at the mall for "someone very special," or any commercial where the items in the store come to life after the security guard turns his back. There's gotta be like 9,000 of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment