Monday, September 25, 2006

Why I love football

Now that I'm out of school, I don't often sit in the student section anymore. Thusly, I'm exposed to an entirely different type of OSU fan. Gone are the shirtless guys screaming obscenities at random opposing linemen. Gone are the girls trying to make a statement by wearing "OSU Drinking Team" shirts that they've cut short and/or tied behind them to make them tighter. I guess that statement is "I'm a drunk whore....come get lucky."


For this weekends game, I sat in the end zone with the everyday fan. It was kind of nice...nobody was obnoxiously drunk, and you didn't have too many of the people who take football WAY too seriously like you would in a season ticket section. You know, the guys who bitch about every call, and are ready to fire the coach after every play that doesn't go for a first down.

Sitting in front of me Saturday night was a guy and his son. His son was probably about 10 years old, and was wearing an OSU jersey and a U of O hat. I wanted to question this kid (and his dad) for his sports polygamy, but I decided I wouldn't want someone someday badgering my son because he was confused. I chalked it up to this kid still trying to figure out his own identity. Anyways, this kid became very interested in everything me and the people I was sitting with said. He chimed in his two cents any chance he got. He got really excited when he overheard us mention that Qdoba was giving out free tacos if OSU scored 40 points. Because we were up 38-0 at the time, the lure of the free taco was the only thing keeping us really interested in the game. This kid then mentioned that OSU should put a powerpuff girl inside the ball so that when they kicked a field goal, she could fly it right through the uprights. I really had no clue how to respond to that one. Apparently his dad didn't either, because he just buried his face in his hands and started shaking his head. I swear his shoulders sagged about 6 inches as well. It was as if he felt he'd failed as a father. Apparently his son wasn't only dealing with his sports identity, but his sexual identity as well. Poor dad. I don't mean to bag on this kid because he was a really nice kid. He just kept shooting himself in the foot everytime he opened his mouth.

It got worse too. When I said something about starting a chant of "Taco, Taco" when we got the ball back, the guy next to me said "Give me a T!" then this kid goes "T! Give me an O!" Which I think made his dad ready to either drink a fifth of tequila or finally pony up the money for private school. This of course got our whole section cheering for a free 'toco' which I think saved the kid a little embarassment and maybe salvaged his father's faith in him.

In other news, on the way to work today I decided to take an alternate route to work because I had a little extra time on my hands. Ya know, just to break up the monotony. I was promptly delayed by the world's longest train. Once the train cleared, I was abruptly stopped again by family of Ducks crossing the street. And they weren't in a hurry either. So I was 5 minutes late. Last time I mess with routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment