Monday, November 22, 2004

Weekend to Remember

Props to the Beavers for regulating in the Civil War. It was a proud moment for every orange clad person. That being said, I did something I swore I'd never do. I left the game early. Why? One, it was cold. Two, my friends had scattered to the four corners of the stadium by halftime. Three, Rachel was watching it at home alone. That's not cool. Turned out I wasn't the only one to jump ship. By the end of the third quarter, Dave, Garth, and Mindy had all found their way home as well. Thank Goodness Steve wasn't around, because I'm sure he would've dissolved his friendship with all of us. Sorry buddy.

Friday night was spent watching umpteen hours of ESPNews coverage of the Pacers-Pistons fight. What entertainment! You can't beat something like that. How Ron Artest got double the suspension of anyone else is beyond me. He was really the only one provoked. I agree that he needed to be suspended, but he did not sucker punch a single person, a la Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson. By the way, did anyone notice Stephen picking on Lindsay Hunter on the court? He's trying to get in a fight with the most even tempered (and probably smallest) guy on the Pistons. He's all untucking his jersey and saying "I kill for fun mang." Wow. I want that guy on my side next time some guy throws a bottle at me.

There is no better time than when Dad and his friends come down for a game. When I think about what I'm going to be like in my fifties, those guys are the model. Now I just need to acquire the financial where-with-all to be able to do the things they do. I love those guys. Never a dull moment. They're like overgrown kids.

Sunday I realized that if I could be one person for just a day, I'd be Brett Favre. Apparently this guy could knock off a liquor store and people could justify it and absolve him of any wrongdoing. I've never seen a player get more love from the announcers. In last nights game, I saw him throw an interception into double coverage and Joe Theismann said "Brett threw that ball exactly where he needed to, that guy just made a great play on it." WHAT? Then someone from the sidelines calls a timeout, and they say "Brett used that timeout wisely." WHAT? I'm serious, you can watch the tape of this game and he isn't even attempting to call the timeout. Then the one that really killed me: With time winding down, he completes a pass to get them in field goal range. However, the ref calls progress stopped in bounds even though the receiver ended up out of bounds. As Brett is jogging up to the line of scrimmage, thinking that the clock is stopped, the referee says something to him. Immediately, Brett looks at the clock, only to realize that it is still running. I can only guess that the ref said "Hey Brett, he didn't get out of bounds." Brett, suddenly realizing the situation, chases after the ref and calls timeout. Incredibly....the announcers start praising Brett for realizing the situation and having the sense of mind to track down a ref to call timeout. At this point I absolutely lost it. Did no one else realize that the REF tracked BRETT down? It's unbelievable. I mean, the guy even pronounces his own last name wrong and everyone just goes along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment