Thursday, March 31, 2016

In defense of *gulp* Donald Trump

Before everyone flies off the handle, let me reiterate that he's right near the top of the list of people I despise, and I think he'd make an awful president, and anyone considering voting for him is more likely doing it to prove a point than because they agree with his illogical policy decisions...my favorite being forcing Mexico to build a wall they don't want to build, and if they refuse force them to build a BIGGER WALL.  Good plan, buddy.

Lately however, the "Stop Trump at all costs" movement has kicked into high gear, and all of a sudden pointing out that he's ignorant and offensive isn't enough anymore.  No....now they have to resort to using his words, ridiculous as they are, out of context to make them seem EVEN MORE ignorant and offensive.  

Example #1: This Buzzfeed Video



Yes, Trump is a pretty established misogynist.  But taking quotes from Obama giving speeches at a podium at a women's conference in his position as president of the United States and comparing them to comment Trump made on the Howard Stern Show or The Apprentice is just plain ridiculous.  It's like taking quotes from  Russell Wilson's comments on celibacy to a Christian organization and comparing them to Peyton Manning's comments from SNL.  The audience and intent of the interview is key here.  Just like Trump wouldn't be on Howard Stern if he made safe, polite comments, Obama wouldn't be speaking to a conference of women if he made some sort of obvious joke about kitchens or Michelle always making his sandwiches.

Example #2: The Abortion Comment
I opened up Twitter yesterday to see this:

Again, it's an absurd statement.  But, it becomes much, MUCH, less absurd when you understand that the quote was in response to a conversation that started with "IF the law were changed to make abortion illegal....." 

Think about that.  If you do something that's illegal, you know you're risking some sort of punishment.  Marijuana use is still illegal in like 90% of the country, but people do it anyways.  If they got caught, they'd complain, they'd try to get the law changed, but ultimately, they'd pay the fine or go to jail because IT'S AGAINST THE LAW.  Do I think abortions should be illegal?  No. Much like same-sex marriage, it's not my business and it doesn't affect me.  It's not something I'd ever consider, but that doesn't mean that I think no one should consider it.  Should Trump have skirted the issue and said something along the lines of "it's not currently illegal" and just talked about how he disagrees with the idea of abortion....yes.  But I don't think it's necessarily a completely insane and dangerous thing to suggest that people who break a law should be punished.  

So then, why are the Anti-Trump people resorting to these tactics....taking an awful person out of context to make him sound more awful?  Pretty much because pointing out that he's an awful person hasn't been working.  He's still winning states and racking up delegates.

What these people aren't realizing is that these tactics aren't going to sway anyone in their favor.  Do you really think there's anyone out there that's saying right now "you know, I was leaning towards voting for Trump, but NOW that I know he makes misogynistic comments and thinks abortion should be a crime...I'm voting for Hillary! If anything, they're making him a sympathetic figure to some people who will hear Trump say that the media is twisting his words and taking him out of context and say "you know, maybe he isn't as bad as I think.  I'm already mad at the government, this guy is mad at the government, he's not one of them....'MERICA!!!!!!" These people are wrong, but that doesn't mean they arent' allowed to voice that opinion in the form of their vote.

This whole election is so whacked out, I'm here defending my least favorite candidate.  I'd like to say that we're better than this, America.  But I'm starting to wonder if we really are.




2 comments:

  1. I found out the other day that my husband's grandmother supports Trump and thought to myself, "What channel is she watching? Is she living under a rock?" I'm hoping that she's been off the grid for the last year and that her ideas that Trump "speaks his mind" and is a "good businessman" will dissipate when she comes back to reality. His grandma is who the media is trying to target at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good plan by the media to target people that don't consume media. But hey, keep on tweetin'!

    ReplyDelete