Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Just Another Day in Paradise

Last night, I watched NYPD Blue for the first time ever. Dennis Franz has got to hold some kind of record for playing the same character for the most continuous seasons. That show has been on for like 15 years, hasn't it? Perhaps the strangest part of the show was the fact that Mark Paul Gosselaaaaaar (or however you spell it) is on it. How did Zack Morris turn into a detective? There was a scene where he was involved in a shootout with a criminal, and I half expected him to call time-out and say "Is this guy serious? If he shoots me, I may never get to take Kelly to the senior prom. I gotta find that twink Screech!" Then he'd take the bad guy's gun, replace it with a hot dog, call time in and run away.

I woke up this morning thinking "how can I get out of this day?" Yesterday, I stupidly agreed to take an extra shift at the ticket office. That meant working 8-12 at the ticket office, and then 1-7 at the Boys and Girls Club. 10 hours of mind numbing boredom. Or so I thought. Turns out Dan came in to work today, and we just talked sports all day. Made the time fly. He actually brought up Patrick McCall. Who has actually thought about Patrick McCall since the 2001 Fiesta Bowl? Amazing. We also decided that sports are way better than real life. I mean, you watch the news, and it's all rapes, murders and kidnappings. You watch ESPN, and it's all.....rapes, murders and illegitimate children. Ok, maybe not the best example, but you've got Sprewell saying things like "$10 million is insulting, I have a family to feed." How big is his family? You've got the whole brawl in Detroit, and you've got Michigan feeling insulted that Ohio State subjected them to a drug search before the game. It's so amusing.

Then, I was trying to think of something, anything, to get myself out of going to the boys and girls club. I tried to convince myself that I was sick, and it almost worked. Carls Jr. and I didn't agree at lunch today. But it wasn't anything that I could justify taking off. But lo and behold, Pat and Jesse both showed up, and we played basketball for like 3 hours straight and it was quite amusing. Amazingly, after about 6 months of being there, I'm starting to learn the kids names too. Today I learned who Josh and Virginia were....yay for me. Yep...things were good....except for when I tried to save the ball and hit the small Asian girl square in the face. Funny for everyone else, but embarrasing for both her and me. Plus, they let me go early. Yuppie! Only bad news of the day is that Mom is sick and not coming to Thanksgiving dinner. Sucks, but I'll see her Friday nonetheless. And, I'll talk to all of you soon enough. Much love, and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment