Wednesday, March 10, 2010

When you come to a fork in the road, take it

I feel that I've reached a serious crossroads. I had the opportunity to apply for another position within the OSU Foundation.

On one hand, I appreciate the things my current position here allows me to do. For one, I can write this blog. Also, my stress level is so low that even Verne Troyer looks down on it. I've got to the point where I really don't even need to think to do my job. I can run through a stack of data entry while silently singing along to whatever my Pandora station is playing. I never even really have to look at the screen because I know exactly how many times I have to hit the tab to get to the field I need. Not exactly brain surgery.

On the other hand, there's never really any challenge to the day. Nothing interesting. The highlight of yesterday's work experience for me was seeing that someone made a donation using a personal check emblazoned with Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s picture. This was a joint checking account of a married couple, which makes me wonder if the wife signed off on the purchase of these checks, or if she told her husband to order checks and didn't even think that he'd go the NASCAR route. If that's the case, she needs to take Rachel's class on husband monitoring. After nearly four years of marriage, I'm still not allowed to grocery shop unsupervised because "I haven't learned to do it right." In this instance "right" is a subjective term. The list said "brownie mix," and that's what I got. It didn't say "brownie mix not to exceed $2.00 in price." Also, "salad" did not have the disclaimer "under no circumstances is this to contain iceberg lettuce." I'm getting there, and hopefully by our silver anniversary Rachel will feel comfortable enough to shoulder some of the household burdens with me.

I'm getting off track here.

Anyways, I'm wondering if it's worth it to give up my job that requires so little of me for a job that may or may not actually involve me applying the skills that were bestowed upon me when a rugby player and former cheerleader got together and conceived The Snacks. Furthermore, with an move to Wisconsin in our future (at some point, it's going to happen), is it worth it to change jobs with the chance of things falling into place and us moving within a few months out there?

I think the answer is yes, if for no other reason than it's a 20% increase in salary for me. Also, while I'm 100% sure the new position would require more of my time, energy, mental acuity, etc., this isn't exactly like going from playing for Athey Creek Middle School to starting for the Knicks. It's a step up for sure, but nothing I can't handle.

So keep your fingers crossed! I applied for the job and had my interview on Monday.

Also, I'm going to go through the daunting task of consolidating all previous forms of my blog into this one, so I will be retroactively posting blogs of mine from the past 8 years or so. Having never attempted anything like this before, I don't know how it will all end up looking, but hopefully it will all flow chronologically with accurate dates when I'm done. I realize that this is 100 times more exciting for me than it is for any of you, but I'm hoping when I'm done to have something that Jonah and any future siblings of his will be able to look at one day and say "holy crap my dad was a dork, but he sure could write!"

No comments:

Post a Comment