Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dress code?

I'm fundamentally against dress codes. We have countless laws against discrimination in this country. Most places of business make it a point to promote diversity. Why then, do they make everyone dress in a similar fashion. If you're an NFL football player or a UPS driver, it makes sense. You need to look alike so that you aren't accidentally tackled by a teammate on a kickoff or scare single women when you knock on their apartment door.

Side note, why don't we hear more stories about women being assaulted by people posing as UPS delivery people? Everyone loves getting mail, so I know that if a guy in brown shorts and a matching shirt showed up on my door, I'd let him in. I probably just freaked out every female reader of this blog, and for that I apologize.

Getting back on track, there's no reason that someone wearing jeans can't be every bit as effective as someone wearing khakis. Someone in a hoodie can work a ten-key on par with the average polo wearer. I would actually argue that I work better when I'm comfortable. I get that you shouldn't show up for work wearing grease stained sweatpants and a shirt that says "I smile because the voices in my head tell me to." Also, anything borderline offensive has got to go. I would actually argue that I work better when I'm comfortable.

Putting myself to this test, if I met two doctors and one was wearing a lab coat and that funny plastic eye patch thingy while the other was sporting a UCLA sweatshirt and jeans, would I choose to see the one in the lab coat based on looks alone? Because he "looks" like a doctor? If he's younger than me, the answer is 100% no. I'm not ready to have someone younger than me tell me I need to eat less sodium.

I'm sure there's some sort of study that says "people wearing slacks are 22% more efficient than people wearing jeans." If that's the case, why do any places institute Casual Fridays? Is this like a bone companies throw their employees? If statistics back up the dress code, why would any employer say "you know what, why don't you be 22% less effective today. You've earned it! Why not shorten my day by 22% and make me wear a tie? I'll go home at 3 every Friday.

In the future, as our society continues to do less and less interaction in person, perhaps dress codes will be relaxed. There will cease to be a reason to "look professional" when nobody's looking. As the youth of America takes the reigns of the country, don't be surprised if more and more companies allow you to wear jeans, bring your pets to work, and offer free iTunes downloads while you work.

After writing that last paragraph I can honestly say I'm equal parts excited and terrified for the next 50 years of our lives as Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment