Friday, March 26, 2010

Jealous much?

Everytime I go to the airport, I try to take in as many faces as possible.  There's so many different people at airports, you're bound to see someone or something interesting.  You know who else goes to airports?

Famous people. 

Famous people fly, but unless they are hugely famous, they have to fly on the same planes we do.  They go to the same gates and put up with the same dumb delays we do.  I always hope to see someone famous at the airport, but never do.  Well, that's not true.  Once I saw former University of Arizona star and current NBA player Channing Frye at the airport.  He doesn't look that tall on TV, but when I just about ran face first into his torso, I realized that the guy is a real life giant. 

Of course, the ultimate hope is that you'll end up on the plane with them sitting right next to you.  I would assume that most celebrities fly first class, so they can avoid sitting next to someone like me, who would ask them questions like "Have you ever played a character that died, and how did that feel to know that you had just been written off the show?" or "how often do you search twitter for your name?"  Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of sitting next to someone famous.  Attorney General Janet Reno was on my plane once, but she had a few secret service dudes flanking her.  Plus, she doesn't exactly have a face that says "hey, why don't we have a little chat while we snack on these peanuts?"  One time I went through security with a bunch of traveling Irish riverdancers.  They talked like leprechanus, but sadly, they didn't go through the metal detector like this.

So today, when my friend Sammy sent me a message that said she was sitting on a plane right next to Autumn Reeser, star of my favorite primetime teen soap, The OC, I was instantly super jealous.  I could've annoyed the crap out of her with questions about the cast, her role and how she's the only reason I watched season 4, what she's up to now, and how that show started around the same time I began dating my wife, so it holds a very special place in our lives.  Autumn will never know how lucky she was that cell phones have to be turned off on planes, because I had about a bazillion questions I wanted to text Sammy to ask her. 

I thought that hearing about some other cool thing that happened to someone else today would continue my funk, but it actually brought me out of it.  Hearing from Sammy and remembering those nights when I would rush home to the ol' Park West Apartments to catch The OC made me feel so much better.  So good in fact, that I was able to go for a run on my lunch break!  So here's a very public thanks to Sammy for making my day.
-----------------------------------------

Weight Loss Journal Day 3

Weight per Wii: 248.5 lbs. (-0.5)
The Good:  In addition to putting in another 30 minutes this morning, I also went for a two and a half mile jog at lunch. 
The Bad:  2.5 miles was too ambitious.  Had to walk about a quarter of a mile in the middle.
The Ugly:  Realized when I went to change into my running gear that, in my haste to get ready in the dark this morning, I had put my boxers on backwards, which might explain why I was so uncomfortable all morning.  The lesson, as always, is that I'm a huge tool, and that if you asked my wife why she married me, she would most definitely say something like "that's a good question" in order to buy more time to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment