Friday, March 9, 2007

Lowered Expectations

I realized last night that my job is fantastic. Nobody expects anything from me, so just by showing up, I'm exceeding expectations!


My boss is out of town right now. She left me in charge of receiving and processing all stock donations to the foundation while she's gone. Thing is, nobody donates stock at this time of year. Everyone just donated in December to get the tax break for '06. So basically I haven't had to do anything. Really I just kind of do my normal job. However, it seems that everyone's sick or injured right now, so I've been covering for a few other people from time to time this week as well. We're insanely slow this week, so it's not like I'm busting my ass for 8 hours a day and still falling behind. Basically the only difference is that I haven't had quite as much time to play around on myspace this week at work.

Well yesterday my bosses' boss, who has said maybe two words to me since December, stops me in the hall and says "You hanging in there?" I say "yup, I'm doing fine," to which he replies "well, you're doing a fantastic job....keep it up."

Really? I am? Does he even know what I do all day? Yesterday, I stuffed envelopes for two hours because I had nothing to do. I also spent an hour moving my stuff from one cubicle to another. Then I went to class for a few hours.

This constitutes a fantastic job? Really?

I don't know if previous employees in my position were awful or what, but I swear I give about a C+ effort, and get A+ rewards. Plus, the benefits the Foundation gives are awesome. The only thing that leaves a little to be desired is the take-home pay, but I guess I'm not exactly hurting for money right now (thanks to my over achieving wife).

I'm running in the Shamrock Run on Sunday with Rachel, Grant and my mom. Length of race? 8 kilometers, or about 5 miles. Last time Andy ran 5 miles? I'm tempted to say never. I ran two miles two weeks ago. Will I make it all 5? The magic 8 ball says "In your dreams asshole." But I'll give it a shot. Hell, I get a free T-shirt out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment