Monday, March 12, 2007

Damn you daylight savings!

Yesterday was one of the most uncomfortable days of my life. Why you ask? Well I'll tell you:


Saturday night we stayed at my mom's house. The guest bedroom at my mom's house has an old west cabinish feel to it which is cool, except it has itchy sheets which drive me nuts. Plus it's 4000 degrees upstairs in that house, and it was unseasonably warm that night. So I slept terribly. Plus we lost an hour of sleep. Plus we got up at 6:30 to get ready for the Shamrock Run.

Running an 8K race was not my idea. I'd never run more than about 4 miles, so 5 was going to be a stretch. Plus, I haven't been running regularly because I've been having foot problems. Nonetheless, I agreed to run with my mom, wife, and brother. So the race starts around 9 and we're jogging along in a group of a couple thousand people. No big deal...I'm doing great. About the mile and a half mark, my feet start hurting. I have to stop. As soon as I stop, I notice that my shin is tightening up. Now I'm just angry, because I at one time ran a mile in under six minutes and could jog for an hour straight no problem. Rachel, being the lovely wife she is, refuses to keep running and walks along with me. So I spend the next two and half miles alternating between walking and running. Funny thing is, that about the 4 mile mark, my feet either became so numb with pain that I didn't notice it as much, or they actually loosened up, because I ran the last mile faster than any of the 4 previous miles. I tend to think they were just numb, because it hurt to walk for hours after the race. They were giving away cases of water after the race, and mom wanted one. So I carried back to the car for her. I think we figured out that this case of water weighed about 36 pounds. It wasn't the easiest thing to carry two miles after a 5 mile run/walk. Rachel equated it to a World's strongest man competition.

So I'm tired, I'm hungry, I didn't sleep well, and I made my body do something it's never done before and my feet hurt because of it. We got back to our house around 3 and I was asleep by 5. I woke up at 8:30, and I just felt crappy. My body was so out of whack that I felt nauseous. I ended up going to sleep around 10 for good. So technically, I got about 11 hours of sleep last night.

Not the greatest Sunday, but I'll take it. I was a little embarrased by my performance in the run, but Grant said "dude, there's about 2 million people in the metro area that could've come to this race and didn't even bother to try, so don't feel bad."

So.....were you there yesterday? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment