Monday, July 24, 2006

Weekend to remember (and forget)

Well the weekend is over. And I don't know how I feel about that. Thursday, Rachel and I bought a HD DVD player to go with our new TV. Only then did we find out you need a special cable to connect it to your TV. Of course, this cable is not included with the DVD Player. So off I go to Radio Shack. There, the guy tells me "I know exactly what you need." He hands me this cable, and says "that'll be $90." For a cable! So I say something along the lines of "are you fucking serious?" And he says "dude, it's worth it." And I say 'for that amount of money I have no doubt, but I don't think my wife will see it that way." And he says "all you gotta do is plug in your old DVD player, watch a little bit, and then switch to this new puppy and she'll understand. That's what I did with my wife." Obviously, this man is not married to Rachel. So I buy it anyways, then figure I'll either convince Rachel or she'll make me return it. Before I even have a chance to say anything she goes "please tell me that cord did not cost $90." She'd already checked the balance on our account! I stammered through something like "I know, I promise I'll stop spending money on electronics, but we need this cord to make our DVD purchase worth it." She immediately gets online and finds damn near the same cord at WalMart for $31. That's why I love Rachel. She keeps money in my wallet.

Friday the heat started. I had to get the oil changed in Brown Sugar, who acted more like the Brown Habanero Pepper all weekend. It was a damn sauna in there. I'm sitting there at Oil Can Henry's and the guy basically tells me I need a new engine (tell me something I didn't know) and i'm sweating my ass off. By the time I got back to work, I had a sweat line across my shirt from the seat belt. Very professional.

Saturday, I drove Grant out to the hay field and then Rachel and I made a trip to home depot and Radio Shack to return my ill advised purchase. Following that, we went out to the Linn County Fair, because Rachel's company was letting all employees and their families in for free, plus hosting a free lunch. These were some of the best hot dogs ever. So after three hot dogs and a cremesicle, it was starting to get pretty toasty at the fair. So we headed up to Salem to see You, Me and Dupree. Great movie, though the whole time I'm watching I'm thinking "Dude, if you hadn't met Rachel, you'd totally be a Dupree." I was well on my way to living on a friend's couch, being totally adrift in the sea of life.

Sunday, Rachel and I were supposed to drive my mom and stepdad over to Corvallis so they could kayak from Corvallis to Albany. Somehow, they convinced us to go with them. So we drove all over Corvallis looking for innertubes. We finally bought a couple of inflatable dinghys for $14.99 each (paddles included!) Only thing is that we didn't read the fine print that said 190 lbs max! Now being a good 60 lbs more than the limit, I was a little worried. But the thing kept me afloat, though I had to bail myself out a few times. It was probably 20 degrees cooler on the river, so that was great. What wasn't great is the hellacious sunburn I now have. It hurts to move, because my entire front half is red. I look like a lobster on one side and a snowbank on the other. Ridiculous, and very very painful. I'm bathed in banana boat right now, and it's all I can smell and it's making me nauseous. Ah well, I'd rather get burnt now than when I'm on vacation in Hawaii in two and a half weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment