Saturday, October 8, 2005

Trucks and titles?

So this week was pretty much like every other week. Work was uneventful. In fact, it was painfully slow. Monday we had to stay an extra hour and a half, but Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, we were done with all our data entry pretty much by lunch. That sucked, because then we become work sluts, whoring ourselves out to whomever we can find that hasn't got all their stuff done. Tuesday I took old files out of a file cabinet, put them in boxes, labeled the boxes, then put the boxes ON TOP OF THE FILE CABINET. I moved these files all of six f*cking inches. That's not productive, that's busy work. The explaination for this mindless work was that now we have room to put the new files in the cabinet. I don't understand why we just don't put the new files in boxes as they come in. Seems like it elminates the whole file cabinet fiasco in the first place. Wednesday I had to pull urgent care forms and file those. Thursday I got to pull EOBs (Explanation of Benefit sheets) for the analysts. Freaking joke. I'm worried that if it stays slow, I'm going to end up doing everyone elses work while they slack off, knowing that they've got help coming every afternoon.


Then comes Friday. Friday is always a busy day, because we get a lot of stuff on Fridays. I had to enter this 298 page voucher into the computer. Roughly 500 entries. Well I get all done entering this thing in, and I'm off by one freakin penny. So I had to search through every single entry to find my one penny error. That slowed me way down. Took me all damn morning. Well then I go to lunch, and wouldn't you know it, my truck dies in the Arby's parking lot. Brown Sugar would not be coaxed back to life. Keep in mind that I only have a half an hour lunch. So I had to walk down to Les Schwab to see if they'd help me. They were like "sounds like a starter problem, we don't do starters." All I wanted was for one of their guys to walk the one block to Arby's and take a look and let me know what they thought. I mean, I figured they'd know more than I would. I finally convince the guy to come take a look, but the jackass says "we'll have someone there in 20-30 minutes." It's a two minute walk! Sudden service my ass. Those bastards will jog out to a car to meet you in the parking lot (at least in the commercials), but you want them to walk a block to look at a truck and it's going to take them half an hour. Assholes.

So I walk back to the truck, called work and left a message (apparently everyone else was on lunch too) and tried to sweet talk Sug into starting. After 10 minutes of cranking, she finally started. She sounded sick, she sounded cranky, but she started, bless her 500,000+ mile heart. Made it back to work a half an hour late, but it only delayed us by about 15 minutes and I was out the door in plenty of time to watch the Angels game.

Speaking of the Angels, I'm still a little upset at Mike Scioscia for pinch hitting for Juan Rivera (batting .500 in the series!) in the ninth inning of game one and then pinch running for him in the seventh of game two, but my anger is eased by a 2-1 lead in the series. I said last night that I thought we'd win if we could knock Johnson out before the seventh inning. As he walked off the field after 3+ innings to a chorus of boos from the Bronx faithful trailing 5-0, I felt pretty good. But, as Joe Morgan said "Any Angel fan who thinks they've got this game wrapped up, it's never easy at Yankee Stadium." True to form, by the 5th inning it was 6-5 Yankees. Then the feeble Yankees bullpen showed up. 11 runs and 19 hits later, the Angels had a 2 to 1 series lead. Gotta feel good about that.

Game 4 is today, but I agreed to go to the coast with Rachel for the fall kite festival in Lincoln City today. They're just going to have to go get a series clinching win without my support today. I will be wearing my jersey to the coast today though. I owe Rachel a big one anyway. She's had to put up with my family and friends coming down and squatting on the couches for football the last three weekends. That's worth at least one missed playoff game.

Ok, this is getting a little longwinded, so I'm gonna wrap it up for the time being.

"Carpe Diem!"
"What's that mean?"
"Seize the Carp!"

~Out Cold

No comments:

Post a Comment