Thursday, December 20, 2007

Happy Holidays from the Lasselles

It's time for the annual Lasselle MySpace Xmas letter! Hard to believe it's already been a year. 2007 was a year dominated by one thing...babies. Of course Jonah was born on Halloween, but we found out Rachel was pregnant in early March and spent the rest of the year planning, preparing, taking classes, and doing everything else that comes along with pregnancy. I learned more about the birthing process than I ever wanted to know. Having very little baby experience, the last few months have been a lot of trial and error for this first time father. I'm improving my diaper changing skills, getting better at understanding why he's upset and what calms him down, and perhaps best of all, I'm learning how to make him smile. Of course, everytime I figure something out, I realize that Rachel figured it out 4 or 5 days ago. She's a fantastic mom, and I feel pretty lucky.


There were a few vacations, including a return to Colorado in the summer. Having not been back since 2001, it was fun to see what had changed and what had stayed the same. I got to see a few friends that I hadn't seen in 6 years, and Rachel's family met us there for a relaxing week. The car ride was rough on Rachel, but I truly believe that the western United States exist soley for the purpose of road tripping across them. The scenery is jaw-dropping, and the speed limit is more of a suggestion than a law in states like Wyoming and Nevada!

I'm still plugging away on this school thing. I feel like I'm treading water rather than making any headway toward a certificate of accounting, but I can credit that more to my undergraduate misadventures than my current scholastic aptitude. Since going back to school, I've maintained a 3.09 GPA.....a pretty big improvement from the 2.26 I graduated with.

Speaking of school, in August I was able to attend my 10 year high school reunion. Having helped organize it, I was much more stressed out about the whole situation than I should have been, but it turned out pretty well. I still am in shock that one of my classmates actually said "I tried to join the Navy SEALs, but apparently they don't take felons." That sentence right there is the 1 reason you should never pass up a chance to reconnect with people from your past.

Looking forward to 2008, I'm looking forward to a year without any major life changes. The last two years have been dominated by weddings, purchasing a car, a house, and starting a family. It will be nice to settle in for a year of watching Jonah grow and just enjoy the ride. We have a few trips planned - to Wisconsin in February to get Jonah baptized, and a family trip to Hawaii in August. We have a few friends expecting babies next year, and we look forward to scheduling play dates and discussing the joys and drawbacks of parenting with other first-time parents.

Here's hoping that your 2007 was as wonderful as mine, and to getting together with all of you at sometime during 2008!

Happy holidays,

The Lasselles

No comments:

Post a Comment