Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I figure by posting my new years resolutions, everyone will know what they are and be able to say "hey remember when you said you were going to do such and such? Well, you didn't you liar." Can't be having that, so here's my attempt to motivate myself. Hasn't worked much in years past, but every year is a new year to start fresh.


1. Stop eating junk food at work. My office is like a non-extradition country for fat people. Everyone brings in food that they don't want to eat in front of their significant others and/or families. In an attempt to not feel so crappy about it, they bring in massive quantities of the fatty/sugary foods so that other people can eat with them. It's sort of an "everyone's doing it, so it's not that bad" mentality. So, I'm ceasing my daily trips to the admin assistants candy jars, putting the kibosh on donuts when they come in, and especially not eating cake at people's birthdays/going away parties. In an office of 130 people, you'd be surprised how often we have birthday cake. You'd also be surprised how often people find new jobs. Hmmmm.......

2. Exercise every day. Even if it's only a 15 minute walk around the neighborhood, I gotta do something. During Rachel's pregnancy, I stopped exercising almost entirely. Pretty much if she'd been a few weeks past her due date, I would've turned into stone. We need to reverse this trend. Rachel and Grant are both talking about running the Portland Marathon in October. I'm not entirely positive I can get in shape to run a full marathon, but they have a 5 or 10K that I think I could handle. Gotta crawl before you can run a marathon right?

3. Limit the Pepsi. I have a problem. I can admit that. When you think about it, 4 sodas a day doesn't seem like much if you have one at break in the morning, one with your lunch, one for dinner and one in the evening, but that's like 600+ calories a day that take up room on the front porch that used to be my stomach. So we're cutting down to one regular and one diet pop a day tops. The rest of the time I'll drink water or milk. Exemptions can be made if I exercise for an hour or more in a day. Call it a reward of sorts.

4. Help more with the chores around the house. Now the Jonah's around and Rachel's going back to work, I need to step up and actually do some in-home maintenance. Problem is that I still feel like I do more harm than good (recall the crock pot incident of a few months ago). Guess like everything else, I'll get better with repetition. Plus we can't have Jonah getting used to living in messy conditions.

5. Clean the closet....and keep it organized. I cleaned it out tonight, now I need to maintain its order. I think by making sure that everything is in order once a week when we do laundry will help.

6. Watch less television. This should be easy with the current writers strike. I'm not a big fan of re-runs. Also, I'm issuing a complete and total cease and desist on all reality shows....except for American Gladiators. I'm going to give that one a shot. American Idol however is not getting one second of airplay in this household. I'm not investing 3-6 hours a week on that junk. I don't care how drunk Paula gets....I'm no longer interested.

I think we're going to set this circus down now, before I make my list too long to handle. Plus, Rachel needs a glass of milk, and she has a small human that looks suspiciously like me attached to her left nipple.

No comments:

Post a Comment