Monday, October 9, 2006

If it's a National Holiday but nobody celebrates, did it really happen?

So Columbus Day......good idea in theory. Let's honor the guy who made the world realize that....well that there was more world. And that it was round. He also is probably responsible for the demise of the Mayan and Aztec empires, and the obliteration of Native Americans from coast to coast. Probably not his initial motive, and we can't fault him for that. So yes, I agree that a forward thinker such as Mr. Columbus should have a day in his honor.


However, what's the point of a holiday if nobody celebrates it? Do you know of any Columbus Day parades? Are any Columbus miniseries running on ABC this week? Will there even be a show on TLC or the History Channel about him tonight? I looked it up...the answer is no. The only people who seem to get the day off today are the US Postal Service and possibly the DMV, though I didn't go to find out.

I'm a little bitter about this mail thing though.....it really makes my job slow when no donations come in. Of course this means tomorrow will be busier than normal, which means I might actually have something to do all day. I've really been stumbling around trying to find something to do today. I honestly don't want to be posting a blog about Columbus Day for Christs sake. I'd much rather be earning my paycheck. This is why I want a new job. I want to earn the money I make. I understand why I get paid crappy. I just wish they'd let me work less and get paid the same. If I was working 30 hours a week, then I could understand. But I think my time is a little more valuable that what I'm making annually.

Still trying to find someone to see The Departed with me.........Rachel won't go. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment