Monday, May 17, 2010

What's in a Name? (and other random stuff)

*Saw a boat in a yard today.  The boat was named the Sea Bitch.  This was not a particularly menacing looking boat, in fact I think it was a sail boat.  Unless the sailboat competes in the Americas Cup races, I'm not sure how fierce a sailboat can be.  Furthermore, who gives their boat a name like that.  I'd argue that naming a boat is more stressful than naming a child.  If you name your child something awful, at least your child is not wearing a nametag 24 hours a day for anyone to see and say "what the hell was wrong with that kid's parents?"  Even if you give a kid an old timey family name like Hugo or Clarence or whatever, the kid can go by a nickname, or a middle name, or whatever.  That boat will always be the Sea Bitch.  Even if the owner calls it something else, everyone who has seen it will still call it "Sea Bitch."  Naming a boat and choosing a yearbook quote are two of the most stressful written statements you'll ever make.  I failed miserably at the yearbook quote (something about Converse shoes being better than Nike, a decision made all the more regrettable when Nike purchased Converse a few years back), so if I ever name a boat, it will not be something I mess up on.  Off the top of my head, I'd like to name my first boat the "Sleepy Possum," but I'd definitely give it a lot of thought before pulling the trigger. 

*Had a positive public park experience this weekend, when the fire station next door happened to be giving kids rides in the truck while we were there.  Jonah got to "ding" the bell as we drove around the neighborhood.  The fireman driving told us that his station (the North Albany station) was the slowest in the city.  I asked if it was because of population density, and he said "um....let's just say that the lifestyle is different in other areas of the city."  Well there you go...statistical evidence that North Albany is less crazy than Albany proper!  I think I definitely need to support the next fireman's pancake breakfast in town or something, because this guy was hilarious, and every fireman there was very easy to talk to and great with the kids.  Definitely feel good about who would be coming to rescue me in an emergency.

*Jonah and I got off to a rocky start this morning.  I was getting him dressed, but he was more interested in sleeping than helping me.  We usually get him into his pjs faster by threatening to tickle him, so I tried that tactic.  I said "hurry, get your shirt on because mommy's going to tickle you!" Jonah just looked at me and said "No Daddy, Mommy's at work!"  Alright.  Apparently I was over anxious to get him dressed, because when we got to daycare, Malea said "why are his shoes on the wrong feet?"  Because daddy dressed him, that's why.

*The Turkey Bratwurst we get at WinCo is amazing.  That is all I have to say about that.

*Watched Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves last night.  Halfway through the movie, the DVD just stops and starts over.  When I tried to use scene selection to get back to where we were, I discovered that only half the scenes were on the disc.  Turns out that this is some sort of first generation DVD that has the second half of the movie on the reverse side.  I think this may have been the first DVD ever made.  The movie's not that long, I don't need an intermission!  As far as I'm concerned, the guy that figured out how to get an entire movie on to one side of a DVD made the greatest technological discovery of the century. 

*In the movie, there's a scene where Robin Hood is skinny dipping in a lake when Marian shows up unannounced.  Robin is caught naked behind a waterfall (thankfully.)  I did notice for the first time that Robin Hood has a boxer short tan line.....was unaware that he was so ahead of his time fashion-wise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment