Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cinco de Mayo

This has been a big week for me in many ways.  Big because I started a new job, big because I'm gaining a brother-in-law on Saturday, and big because I've been taken out to eat at nearly every sit down restaurant in Corvallis for lunch this week.  (Get it, I'm getting big?)  Anyways.....

Last night was Jay (future brother-in-law)'s bachelor party.  Well, he referred to it as a "dude date," so let's go with that.  I missed most of it while at work, but I headed up to Portland to meet them for the Portland Beavers game at PGE Park.  I've only ever been to Beaver games on weekends or Thirsty Thursdays, so I assumed that they always drew decent crowds.  Not true.

As Grant and I drove up to the stadium, we could see nothing but empty bleachers.  We parked, got out and walked in.  The plan was for us to call Jay and see where they were sitting so we could meet up with them.  Turns out we could've just yelled his name.  We took one look around the stadium and saw only one group of more than ten people sitting together that wasn't a little league team.  Party located.  I'd honestly be surprised if there were more than 300 people in the stands.  The attendance was announced at 1,539, but that must've counted both teams, the concession guys, the mascot, and the people playing basketball next door at the Multnomah Athletic Club.  There were probably closer to a fifth of that number in the stands.  I think I played in front of more people in little league. 

The play on the field was largely unmemorable.  Our group took a particular interest in the mannerisms of the third baseman for the other team, a guy named Mark Mangini, a 24 year old guy from North Carolina who had the unfortunate luck of being the closest player to our "dude date."  The heckling took on many forms, as some people knew baseball better than others.  Some highlights of the heckling included pointing out that he touched his belt buckle a lot, someone called him the "worst triple baseman in the league" and saying that "a real third baseman would've caught that" after a pop up to shallow right field was secured by the first baseman.  The heckling continued with the poor concession guy who had the impossible task of selling sno-cones on a 42 degree night.  He concurred with our assessment, muttering as he walked away "my life sucks!" and wondering why he couldn't sell hot chocolate.  The guy looked like an overweight Tracy Morgan, and actually sounded a little like him too. 

However, the mascot stole the show when he gave Jay a modified lap dance.  I don't know if you've ever seen a man in a Beaver costume wearing a sombrero give another man a lap dance at a minor league game, but it's worth the price of admission.  I also enjoyed that the Beaver asked for money, so Jay stuffed a Papa Murphy's coupon in the mascot's pants.  This whole scenario was more than a little awkward, but what else would you expect from minor league baseball?

----------------------------------

Weight Gain Journal Day 36
The weight loss has taken a hiatus this week, and seemingly everyone at the Foundation has felt the need to congratulate me on my new position by taking me out to lunch.  All these lunches are really eating (pun intended) into my running time.  So we just have been avoiding the Wii because I don't want to hear it tell me that I'm not going to reach my goal and then tell me to mix in a salad or not drink sugary beverages.  Easy for a frickin' electronic board on the ground to say...you try saying no to salmon at McGrath's, or a bison cheeseburger at Ruby Tuesday's, or anything Block 15 has to offer.

Off to Erin's wedding out at the Washington Family Ranch tomorrow for her wedding.  Really looking forward to it, and hopefully a story or two will be noteworthy enough for me to blog about on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment