Monday, August 23, 2010

Good Idea, Bad Execution

Thought we had turned a corner in our passive potty training yesterday.  Jonah announced to us that he had to pee, and that he wanted to do it in the potty.  So I converted his Elmo potty chair into a stool, helped him get his diaper off and stood him up in front of the toilet.  "I want Cheerios," he says.  Great!  We throw some cereal in the water so he's got something to aim at. 

Nothing happens.

A minute goes by.  Jonah's standing tall, holding his shirt out of harms way, as happy as can be.  "You still gotta go?" I ask.  He nods, as if it were a dumb question.  Thinking maybe he's got a bit of the stage fright that his father has, I say "well ok buddy, I'm going to go ahead and unpack, let me know if you need anything." 

A few more minutes go by with nothing but silence coming from the bathroom.  At this point, Rachel and I are a little curious, but impressed with his patience.  I peek in there and he's as still as a statue, staring intently at the water in the bowl.

A few moments later, Jonah yells "I did it!"  We go running in to congratulate him, only to find him standing there smiling, with a baseball sized turd on the floor behind him.

"Clean it up!" he says happily.

Well, ok then.

No comments:

Post a Comment