Monday, April 12, 2010

Better: in person or in HD?

It's an argument that I never thought was really an argument - Is it better to watch a game from the stands or from your couch?  It's a no-brainer right?  If you get a chance to go see it in person, you take it right?  After this weekend, I'm not so sure.

As I watched The Masters from my couch, I was able to see stunning replays, and follow a "featured group" thanks to DirecTV's brilliant "Masters Mix."  When there wasn't any action there, I could switch to another channel and watch only the action on the three most picturesque holes "Amen Corner."  And when I wanted to watch the regular broadcast, I could do that too.  Basically, there was never any break in my watching of The Masters.  However, if I were to get a ticket to be there, I'd have to sit around the green of one hole, where I may or may not be able to see the person hitting the shot.  I may or may not be able to see just how close that shot comes to going in the hole.  I may have a caddy obstruct my view on a crucial putt.  Or I could walk my ass around the course following one specific golfer and hope that he has a good day or does something noteworthy.  Imagine being the guy who followed Vijay Singh around all weekend.  He's not very outgoing, doesn't really have anything noteworthy about his game, just goes out and finishes somewhere off the leaderboard, collects a fat check and heads home.  How exciting is that? 

I should note that I have never been to a golf tournament, and have no idea how interesting they may or may not be.  Perhaps I'm really missing the boat on these things.  I don't know.  Another disclaimer:  If someone offered me tickets to The Masters, I'd take them without thinking twice.  However, it wouldn't be to see the golf.  It'd be to say I've been to Augusta National.

So, score one for HDTV.  I also took in a live sporting event this weekend.  I attended an OSU-UCLA baseball game.  I figured this would give live events a chance to even the score.  Oops.

Actually, I loved being at the baseball game.  We had great seats behind home plate, Jonah cooperated, and the weather was nice.  Really, nothing beats sitting in the stands in the sun at a baseball game.  There was only one problem - there were other fans in attendance.

I hate fans.  Actually, fans are ok.  Fanatics are not. I hate fanatics.  I hate the guy that questions every pitch call.  You're sitting a couple hundred feet away with a view obstructed by protective netting and quite possibly a human being in the batters box....you really think you can tell if that ball is off the plate better than the guy with a straight on view two feet from the plate?   C'mon.  This was infuriating.  Then you get the smart ass who keeps heckling the third base coach.  He's yelling for the guy to get back in the coaches box, because "you can't have two runners on third!"  The coaches box is a complete waste of time, and whomever decided that we should put them on baseball fields should be publicly stoned.  Nobody pays any attention to them and I have NEVER seen a coaches box infraction called.  I don't even know what the penalty is for it.  I doubt anyone else does either.  I certainly don't think the guy in section 6 with the hot dog in one hand and his cell phone in the other knows. 

I'm also not a big fan of people who criticize players for making a mistake by saying something like "get your head in the game!"  Seriously?  Have any of these people played a sport?  At any time during a game did any of these people take the bat up to the plate thinking "you know, I don't really think I'm going to focus on getting a base hit this time up.  I'd rather think about something else."  It's ridiculous.  Furthermore, if a guy misjudges one fly ball, he has not "been out of position all day."  This comment was made after OSU's right fielder got a bad jump on a ball and it went over his head.  The guy is our starting catcher, but the coaches decided not to start him at catcher because he caught 16 innings the night before.  Probably a smart decision to give the kid's knees a rest.  They still wanted his bat in the game, so they stick him in right field, which for whatever reason has the stigma that it's where you put your worst defensive player.  Anyways, he's not an outfielder, and you can't expect him to be a gold glover.  That's on the coach, not the kid.  You put a kid out there that's a below average outfielder, you're going to get below average fielding.  Pretty simple.  Anyways, after five innings I was ashamed to be cheering for the same team as these jokers.  Thankfully we had a birthday party to attend, so I didn't have to face any more of this insane heckling.  Why people think buying a ticket to a game gives them the right to be a douche is beyond me.  Watch the game, cheer at appropriate times, and have fun.  I'll never understand people whose mood is either positively or negatively affected by the outcome of a game beyond an hour after it has ended.  Unless they lost a couple thousand betting on it.  Then it makes sense.

All that being said, I still think being there in person is better.  With the improvements in home entertainment over the past decade, staying at home has narrowed the gap, but it will never be able to match that one moment when 30,000 people go silent, hoping that a last second field goal finds its way through the uprights, or a fly ball will find the seats instead of an outfielders glove.  I love that moment.  It's amazingly quiet, everyone is either standing or on the edge of their seats with every muscle tense with anticipation.  There's only one moment better.

That's the moment right after the one I just described.  When the field goal is made and it's so loud you can't hear yourself think.  It's the moment when it appears a bomb of happiness has been detonated.

----------------------------

Weight Journal - Day 19
It's not going to be called the Weight Loss Journal again until I actually lose weight.  However, that should be occurring soon, because my brother's girlfriend challenged me to a "Biggest Loser" style competition....one that I do not intend to lose.

Weight Per Wii: 249...what else is new?
The Good:  It was a fabulous day out and I completed my full 2.5 mile loop at lunch today.
The Bad:  The sixty year old man on the opposite side of the street torched me down 35th.  Made me look like I was standing still.  Very humbling.
The Ugly:  I think I would be willing to sit at my desk without a shirt on for the rest of the day if someone bought me a cheeseburger right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment