Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rachel Proves I Suck at Negotiating Yet Again

DirecTV fired another bomb in the battle last night, but in doing so, probably ultimately lost the war. Why? They woke the sleeping giant. They made Rachel angry. Rachel is a lot like the Incredible Hulk in the way….you really wouldn’t like her when she’s angry.


Last night our local networks were switched to Eugene feeds. As promised, they were not broadcast in HD. Plus, instead of having normal, easy to remember numbers like 2, 6, 8, 10 and 12 for the major networks, we get 9, 16, 34 and some other ones that I haven’t found yet. Rachel goes “let me get this straight, they took our HD, but we still pay the same?” I gave her a few more of the details, then she goes “ok give me the phone, I’m calling them.”

There are few things that get my adrenaline pumping like watching Rachel when she’s fired up. For a tiny person, she can totally dominate you. I’m sure the checker at Fred Meyer is still regretting her decision to suggest that maybe Rachel’s card declined because she didn’t have enough money to buy a jelly donut. I know I’m still regretting the decision to go out to lunch on my credit card in an attempt to prevent Rachel from knowing exactly how much money I was spending on food. In hindsight it was an extremely ill conceived plan on my part, and I deserved to be skewered.

Anyways, Rachel has this strange ability to get what she wants before she even has to get really angry. Like the mere threat of raising her ire is enough to make people tap out. Keep in mind that I had just talked to DirecTV a few weeks ago about these exact same problems. I was extremely nice, explained my frustration, and got nowhere. Rachel maneuvers her way through the automated menu and finally gets a real person. “Um, yeah, I was just a little confused. We just lost our HD networks, but our bill is the same? Can you explain this?” That’s all she had to say, and they’re working on getting us a waiver to receive HD feeds again. My emails and phone calls never even got me close to this. Then she goes “I have another question….we’ve called you before because our box was malfunctioning, and it’s still broken.” I don’t think she said anything else about it, and now they’re giving us a $60 credit to cover the $50 service call to repair it.

This is why Rachel and I make a good couple. She’s very, very good at getting people to give her what she wants, and I’m very, very good at letting people have what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment