Friday, November 6, 2009

The Civil War isn't for another month, but we're already losing

Be nice to me, I gave blood today.


Sort of.

I said that I was giving blood in support of the Beavs because the Civil War blood drive might be the only Civil War victory we claim this year. However, I would say that I lost this one.

You know it didn’t go well when your bag is halfway full and the lady says “I’m calling it. Sorry Mr. Lasselle, it was nothing you did, I just had a bad stick from the start. You’re going to have a lot of bruising, and I apologize for that.”

If the football game goes like that on December 3rd, it’s going to be a loooooong year.

I knew it wasn’t going to go well when the lady comes up to me and says “Have I asked you your name yet?” Seeing how I was the FOURTH person of the day, you’d think they’d be able to remember that I was not one of the three people that had been in there before me. Sadly, this was not the case. Things got worse when she starts looking for a vein and, after poking around for a while, looks at me and says “do you have a preference?”

Reading between the lines, she was saying “I have no clue which vein to use, please tell me which one you normally give out of.” Like I keep track of that. I’m not scared of blood, but I’d rather not pay attention when I’m being gored.

Make no mistake, this was a goring. After sticking me, she determined that I wasn’t draining fast enough. She pulled the needle back. She pushed it forward. She twisted it. She tried again. She asks how I’m doing. I say I’m doing fine. Next thing I feel is the needle hitting something new. And it didn’t feel good.

So I got the bag halfway full. I have ice on my arm. I think my story caused one of my coworkers to back out of her appointment.

In other words……MAJOR FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment