Monday, March 30, 2009

Bureaucracy at its best

So this morning I opened the garage door to leave for work, and a dog comes running in, almost as if he's been waiting patiently for me to open the door for him. Jonah loves this and immediately demands that I put him down so he can pet this dog. Not knowing anything about the pooch, I was hesitant. The dog was friendly, but hyperactive. So I go to put Jonah in the car, and before I can do so, the dog goes under the car door and hops into Jonah's car seat. Well, this isn't going to work. So I coax the dog out of the car and get Jonah situated. The dog is hovering trying to find a way back into the car. Our neighborhood streets are deserted, this dog isn't with anyone. So I do the honorable thing, I'm taking this dog to the humane society!


Only the humane society isn't open at 7:30. Furthermore, the humane society isn't open on Mondays. There's a number on their answering machine for Linn County animal control. I call that. No answer. No answering machine. About this time, it dawns on me that I live in Benton County. I can get their humane society to take the guy. Nope....they're not open on Monday's either. I get to work, and look up the number for Benton County animal control. The guy who does animal control is on vacation until Wednesday. "Can you keep the dog until Wednesday?" the guy asks me. Really? There's a whole government paid position to handle this problem, and you're putting it on me, the guy who found the lost dog and is trying to prevent it from getting hit by a car? So then the guy says "well where did you find the dog?" "At my house in North Albany," I say. "Oh, well you need to call Albany's humane society then." I explain that they're closed. So I get transferred to the Albany PD. They tell me I need to call Corvallis because the dog is currently in Corvallis. I tell them they won't take it because the dog was found in Albany. So then they say "well we can't come and get it." I know this. I am fully aware of the inability of gov't entities to cross imaginary borders. "I'll bring it to you," I say. "Ok, take it to your house and an officer will come get it when they have a chance." What is this the cable guy? Just sit at your house and wait for the cops who may or may not have time to get it? I kindly ask if I can just bring the dog to them. I am put on hold for a while, and finally I am told that that will be fine.

All because a dog jumped into my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment