Monday, November 12, 2007

Jonah meets his great grandpa

So Friday afternoon I got a call from my dad. My grandpa's health was failing, and the doctors didn't think he had much time left. One thing that was pretty important to me was that Jonah meet his great grandpa, since he's named after him. (Courtney is Jonah's middle name, my grandpa's first name.) So we packed up the car and Jonah went on his first overnight visit. Even though my grandpa couldn't talk anymore, we could tell he still knew what was going on, and I was able to set Jonah in bed with him so he could sit with him for a little while. I also got a picture of my grandpa, my dad, me and my son, which is something I will be sure to show Jonah as soon as he's old enough to understand. My grandpa died Saturday morning. The whole family was able to make it in time to say goodbye, which was nice. He died peacefully at home surrounded by family, which I'm sure is what he wanted. He was 95.


I'm just going to tell one quick story about the man, which makes me smile everytime I think about it.

Back when Grant and I were younger, probably about 16 and 13 respectively, we were spending a lazy weekend out at Grandpa's. We were playing video games and Grant got the great idea to call one of those 1-800 sex lines. He was doing his best sexy voice and repeating everything the recording was telling him. About the time he got to "for just $3.99 per minute, you can have a hot one-on-one conversation with some of the dirtiest girls around," his face got white and he hung up. My Grandpa had picked up the phone downstairs to make a call. All of a sudden I hear my grandpa screaming bloody murder and charging up the stairs. "You damn kids, what the hell are you doing?" Grant panics and throws the phone at me. Grandpa points his finger at me and says "you! What do you think you're doing?" I'm trying not to laugh and explain that it was Grant, but he's not listening, only yelling. "Wait til your dad gets home! Bunch of perverts running up my phone bill!" Grant tries to explain that it was toll free, but that only made it worse. My dad got home and Grandpa went off on him for raising a couple of perverts, to which dad came upstairs laughing and saying "what were you guys thinking?" I think this one of only three times he yelled at us.

We're going to miss you grandpa. Sorry we ran up your phone bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment