Monday, November 10, 2008

What's my computer trying to tell me?

I was going to write this blog about annoying banner ads. I understand that they make sites like MySpace free, which I am all for. But who comes up with these things?


They used to be the most mind numbing games imaginable. "Drill for Oil faster than Bush to win a cell phone!" "Slap the sumo belly!" and on and on. Apparently those ceased to be effective, so then we had the easiest quiz ever. "Which actress appeared on Friends?" and your choices were Miss Piggy, Kathy Bates and Courtney Cox. But then the ad companies got smart. They started tracking the websites you went to, and based on that information, they were able to post banner ads based on your browsing. Look up sports info? There'd be a banner ad with a chick in a bikini saying "it's ok to look." Look up information on breast feeding and an offer for a subscription to a parenting magazine appears.

So while I'm reading a friend's blog, I notice a flashing banner. It asks "which Jonas Brother would you date?" That's what prompted this blog. I swear I haven't been looking up anything Disney, Hannah Montana, or young teenage boy related. I doubt my wife has either. So I come to write this blog. The banner ad at the top says "Lance Bass shares his extraordinary experiences."

I don't think I can explain this away. Let's just say I disagree with what my computer says about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment