Thursday, October 17, 2013

Perspective - An Interactive Blog Post!

It should come as no surprise to friends of mine that I enjoy eating and drinking Pepsi - not necessarily in that order.  So when a meeting at work provides free pizza lunch and Pepsi afterwards, I'm not likely to say no, even though lunchtime is about the only time during the day I can actually get some exercise in. (Side note - this is not true.  I could get up super early and exercise, or work out after the kids go to sleep.  I just choose not do exercise then because it would interfere with two things I enjoy more: sleeping and watching The Bachelor.)

As I'm polishing off a delicious piece of Hawaiian pizza that was probably two or three pieces after where I should have stopped eating, I started thinking about a TV show I watched last night, The Drive of Pac-12 Networks.  They were talking to an Arizona State linebacker who had lost his father to a heart attack a few months ago.  Now I started thinking about having a heart attack myself.   That led me to think "I could die tomorrow if I keep eating pizza like this."  I know there's probably a hundred other ways I could die between now and tomorrow that don't involve pizza, but you get my point.  I instantly thought about the things I would miss if I died tomorrow. 

Obviously, number one was watching my kids grow up.  I've only known them for a few years, but they're both in my top three favorite people in the world.  I really want to see how they turn out.  Will Jonah ever enjoy watching football games?  Will Jocelyn turn her love of singing into a spin on American Idol 2028?  Will Jonah ever be able to fall asleep alone?  When Jocelyn is on her first date, and the guy asks if she wants to watch a movie, will she ask him to watch Annie as her measuring stick for if he's dateable? 

You know what number two was for me?  Jurassic Park 4.  I swear to God, that was the second thing that popped into my head.  A freaking movie about fake dinosaurs.  I couldn't believe it.  I would've expected myself to think of visiting Ireland, or seeing the Beavers play in a Rose Bowl, or going to see the Olympics in some location I'd never otherwise think of visiting or actually getting to build a home from scratch with everything that Rachel and I want.  Nope....Jurassic Park 4.  I had no clue I wanted to see this movie so bad.  In fact, if you had asked me what movie I'm looking forward to the most, I would've guessed I would say Avengers 2.  Apparently Dinosaurs > Super Heroes in my book.

This got me thinking - what would you all miss or regret if you were to die tomorrow?  I've included a handy poll at the bottom, or you can leave a comment below if I left #1 on your bucket list off (sorry, I can't read minds.  Apparently, I can't even read my own.)

Aside from not seeing your children grow up, what would you miss the most if you were to die tomorrow?
Not seeing a part of the world you'd never visited
not seeing your favorite sports team win a championship in person
Not doing some extreme sport (skydiving, rocky mountain climbing)
Telling someone you loved them
Jurassic Park 4
Other
www.poll-maker.com

No comments:

Post a Comment