Friday, March 7, 2008

Been Slackin'

So the Snacks blog has been on hiatus for a while. No particular reason, just haven't really had anything interesting to talk about. I'm trying hard not to make this a "Jonah did this, Jonah did that, Jonah's the BEST BABY YOU'VE EVER FREAKING SEEN" blog that so many other parents do. We all love our own kids, everyone knows that, we don't need to brag about how they start rolling over or how they smile everytime we imitate Foghorn Leghorn. Besides, I think the 6000 pictures Rachel and I have posted of him are enough to prove we think the world of the little tyke. Besides, Jonah had a Dr.'s appointment yesterday. He was in the 50th percentile in every category they measured him in. He's the most average baby ever. I don't really have anything to brag about.


A few other things I've been marinating on lately:

- Last weekend I went to the OSU baseball game at PGE Park. I saw a few people I went to high school with at West Linn. One of the girls I had a crush on. She was drunk and had to hold onto the guy she's with to stay up. This other guy had his hat on backwards and his pants were about 8 sizes too big for him and he was jumping around like he was still in high school. THESE WERE THE COOL KIDS!!! What the hell happened? How did these people not grow up? It also made me realize how lucky I was that I was socially inept until about the time I was 23 and met Rachel. Can you imagine if I'd ended up with a girl who still pre-func'ed baseball games at 29 years of age? Wow.

- I saw a guy yesterday driving a convertible with the top down. If there's one thing that should be banned in Oregon, it's convertibles. I know that yesterday was a nice day....almost sixty degrees. I don't think I'd have a problem with him driving around a convertible then....but I saw this individual at 7:15 in the morning. It was 37 degrees at that time and this guy had all his windows rolled up (if it's too cold to have the window down, don't you think it's too cold to have no roof?). To make matters worse, HE WAS WEARING EARMUFFS!! Stupid Oregonians. If you're so in love with the sun that you have to do things of this nature, please move out of Oregon immediately. Gjurg told me there's plenty of convertible weather in Florida. Try there.

- Yesterday one of my co-workers was incredibly efficient. I guess I should say that she was incredibly efficient relative to her normal work output. I was thinking "well, this is kinda nice." Then she promptly took the afternoon off because she wasn't feeling well. I have no idea if her efficiency can be linked to the fact that she wanted to go home early, but it sure was suspect to me. I'm predicting she doesn't show up on time today, if at all.

- I'm so glad that basketball season is almost over for OSU. The games are getting more and more depressing. I've never seen a more poorly coached team. I've never seen a team show so little pride out on the court. And I've seen more fans at OSU volleyball matches. It's getting out of hand. I think that everyone is just playing out the string until a new coach is hired and they can start fresh. However, I'm beginning to have my doubts that these guys will play harder for any coach when they don't seem able to play hard for themselves. Sad, sad situation, especially since I had faith in a lot of these guys.

- Major League Baseball is now requiring base coaches to wear helmets. Another example of overreaction. A minor league coach was hit and killed last year. However, if I remember correctly he was hit in the neck area, where a helmet isn't really going to provide all that much protection. Unfortunately, freak accidents happen. Trying to prevent every single one of them is unreasonable. If this carried over from the sports world to real life, all our tables and chairs would come equipped with foam padding around the edges and cars would be limited to 25 MPH. The first thing that you learn in any sport is to KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL. What happens when a guy takes a line drive off the chest and dies? Are we going to require everyone to wear chest protectors?

No comments:

Post a Comment